Manchester United’s search for a midfielder has led the club towards Ruben Neves. At least claims Talksport.
United are said to hold interest in Neves as an option to strengthen the midfield.
Neves was briefly linked to United earlier in the summer. A report from 90min in June claimed United were interested and Bruno Fernandes had given a glowing reference of his Portugal international teammate. These claims have been repeated again this week.
There was a time a couple of seasons ago when selling Neves seemed unthinkable for Wolves. But their project is undergoing an overhaul.
Manager Nuno Santo has left the club as has attacker Diogo Jota. Cashing in on Neves, who needs a new challenge, gives Wolves money to reinvest in the squad.
An option for United
Midfield is a position United need to prioritise once deals in attack and defence for Jadon Sancho and Raphael Varane are complete.
Paul Pogba’s future is unclear and Neves could be seen as one way to shore up the midfield if he leaves, adding a more defensive approach.
Neves is a strong passer and good tackler, winning the fifth highest number of tackles in the Premier League last season despite it being a generally disappointing year for Wolves due to their struggles without an established striker following Raul Jimenez’s injury.
This week we listed Neves among 11 possible midfield names United could target.
Neves has previously been linked to Arsenal, a move which would not be as good for his career as joining United, who can offer Champions League football.
The veracity of Talksport‘s report is yet to be firmed up by other more authoratative sources, but it is interesting and generally positive to hear. At a bargain price of just £35 million, Neves would be a smart addition, especially considering how overpriced Declan Rice is.
A trio of Neves, Sancho and Varane would be very good business and could end up costing around £150 million in total, funds United could offset by selling players.
- Villarreal star reacts to David de Gea’s Manchester United penalty save
- Solskjaer confirms Anthony Elanga ‘will be involved’ against West Ham
- Varane hails United teammates Pogba, Ronaldo and Maguire
- Telles outlines United ambitions as he nears injury return
- Williams struggles to contain in-form winger and former United target
- Anthony Martial faces uphill task to break into United starting line-up amid exit reports
- Should Phil Jones be given a rare start in the Carabao Cup vs West Ham?
- Cristiano Ronaldo leads the Premier League in shots per game and Juventus numbers show it is sustainable
- United loanee Dylan Levitt praised by manager for making impact in crucial victory
- Five Manchester United youngsters who could feature against West Ham
- Willy Kambwala ‘very happy’ to make Manchester United return