Manchester United are reportedly targeting a young up and coming midfielder, according to Eurosport.
The report does not name a potential target, simply stating the profile of player United want to add to the squad.
It claims technical director Darren Fletcher is especially keen to make the addition, although it is not a top priority.
Bigger priorities are regarded to be striker, winger, and central defence.
This will limit funds for a midfielder, which is why United are looking at a ‘young up and coming player’, with the report also describing the potential target as an ’emerging midfield star’.
Last summer United targeted Jude Bellingham but missed out when he chose to sign with Dortmund.
United do have James Garner returning from loan his summer.
He will fit the profile of player United want to sign, but the report indicates the club want to look beyond him, at a fresh name.
The biggest question mark is over Paul Pogba’s future, with his contract expiring in 2022.
If he moves on, United’s midfield becomes more of a priority area to fix, and could even impact the profile of player United sign, and the funds available to do so.
Who could United sign?
The description of ‘up and coming player’ is very broad. This could mean a rising Premier League star like Yves Bissouma of Brighton, who is 24.
It’s unlikely to mean a player as young as Bellingham, who was a rare talent for his age.
United will probably look at a player in the 20-24 age range, who can contribute substantially to the first team next season and will be ahead of Garner in terms of development.
We are firmly in the realms of speculation here now, but possible targets could include Boubakary Soumare of Lille, Sander Berge of Sheffield United, or AZ Alkmaar midfielder Teun Koopmeiners.
If United do go down the young route, then Rennes ace Eduardo Camavinga is a good option, although he won’t come cheap.
These are all top prospects who could be signed for less than £30 million, and would each bring a new feel to United’s midfield options.
We will have to see how it shakes out, but the midfield is a position United have to continue to look to improve, and it is encouraging the club are looking to take action this summer.
- Five German legends comments on Manchester United bound Jadon Sancho
- Diogo Dalot posts message after making Portugal debut
- Victor Lindelof makes timely contribution to help Sweden finish top
- Manchester United fans react to Paul Pogba’s performance
- Pogba and Fernandes embrace at end of France and Portugal draw
- Paul Pogba produces another masterclass as France draw with Portugal
- Anthony Elanga’s rave reviews set him up perfectly for 2021/22
- Jadon Sancho agreement likely ‘in days’ – report
- Neville hails Harry Maguire’s ‘dominant’ performance in England win
- How Paul Pogba’s salary compares to France international teammates