United are back in Premier League action on Sunday at home to Aston Villa.
After dropping points away against Sheffield United, a home win is crucial here.
United need to build momentum ahead of games against Tottenham and Manchester City in the following days.
Many changes are expected from the youthful side which took on Astana, and a few could be needed from the team which drew at Bramall Lane last weekend.
Three important changes
1: The first big change could come at the back with Axel Tuanzebe preferred to Victor Lindelöf.
Villa’s top striker is physical Brazilian forward Wesley and Tuanzebe’s speed and aerial strength makes him better suited to facing him than Victor Lindelöf.
Tuanzebe also knows Villa very well from his loan spell at the club last season.
2: In midfield, fortunately it looks like Scott McTominay may be fit to return.
This is a relief to everybody who saw Andreas Pereira against Sheffield United last week.
McTominay’s match up against Villa star John McGinn could be crucial to deciding the result.
Solskjaer told the club website: “Hopefully for Sunday,” when quizzed about McTominay’s fitness.
3: United’s options in the central attacking role aren’t great as we have seen all season.
Pereira should probably sit out after a poor performance last week and Jesse Lingard could come into contention.
However this may be a game for Juan Mata, who linked up well with Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford in his last start, a win over Partizan at Old Trafford.
Mata is fully rested and this could be an ideal game for him to return to the team.
- Varane transfer blow could have second complication for Manchester United
- James Garner is working hard in gym to be ready for Manchester United next season
- Joel Glazer explains why no plans to bring ‘Football Club’ back to Manchester United badge
- Ferdinand comments on United’s summer business as he responds to fans on social media
- Manchester United could be making a mistake with reported Juan Mata plans