Anthony Martial and Jesse Lingard send messages to Manchester United fans
Manchester United’s players have been busy commenting on social media after beating Partizan Belgrade.
It was United’s first away win of the season, a hard fought 1-0 victory in Serbia.
Anthony Martial scored United’s goal, netting from the penalty spot. It was the only shot United had on target the whole game.
He recognised that the team’s display was not great, but said he was pleased to get the win and advance in his return.
Jesse Lingard was also making his first start after an injury suffered in the previous Europa League game.
He came so close to scoring his first goal since January, only to hit the post.
Lingard took the positives after the win, and praised youngsters Brandon Williams and James Garner, focusing on the club’s evergreen academy.
Another academy graduate Scott McTominay sent a more functional message out, looking ahead to the weekend game against Norwich.
Harry Maguire was captain for the night, and sent a message expressing his thanks for the honour.
United had to dig deep, Partizan were awkward opponents and had a raucous crowd behind them.
The poor quality of the pitch didn’t help, but United saw it through.
A better performance will be expected from Unitedat Old Trafford in a fortnight’s time when the two teams play. But for now, seven points from nine is a good start, with two home games remaining plus a trip to Astana.
- 'He is a giant'… Erik ten Hag says he can't wait to work with Manchester United star
- 21-year-old Manchester United loanee wins fans player of the year
- New United boss Ten Hag picks out the one Ajax player he is 'extremely grateful' for
- 15-year-old whizkid Manchester United signed from Arsenal makes first under-18s start
- 'I am not going': Erik ten Hag makes vow Manchester United fans will love, set to avoid Van Gaal error