Manchester United should not be in a position where the club are relying on a 18-year-old to be the big difference in the biggest match of the season.
Yet the reality is Mason Greenwood may be our best bet.
Anthony Martial cannot be relied on at this point. He missed two glorious chances against PSG, and he has looked flat all season.
Mason Greenwood himself had an off day against Southampton at the weekend and was substituted at half-time.
Most fans would still feel more confident in the teenager at this point. United just need him to step up and raise his game.
Greenwood’s best moment of the season so far came against RB Leipzig in the first match. He latched onto Paul Pogba’s through ball and struck the ball sweetly into the bottom corner.
A combination of illness and competition for places has meant Greenwood has had a stop-start season.
He has also found it tough to impact games as a substitute this season. Perhaps he is just trying a little too hard.
United need Greenwood to hit form
Greenwood is a special talent, arguably the most exciting player to come through the club’s academy for over a decade.
After such a special first season in which he netted 17 goals, it was inevitable he would take a step back this campaign, having not had the benefit of a proper rest in the summer.
But it is at these big moments where United need Greenwood to step up.
If he does not get the opportunity, or fails to make the most of one, it should not be held against him. Playing in big pressure Champions League matches is new to him. United need game changers though, and Greenwood has the ability to be one.
It would be good to see him get a goal this weekend against West Ham, just to lift his confidence a little.
There is a chance next week for Greenwood to write the next chapter in his promising Old Trafford career. He should be looking to seize it. United need him now more than ever.
- Five things we learned as Manchester United lose to Sheffield United
- Manchester United pick attack heavy team to face Sheffield United
- Former United star Shinji Kagawa finds new club in Greece
- Solskjaer is ready to build his plans around Amad Diallo
- Who is reported Manchester United target Christoph Baumgartner?
- Odion Ighalo did exactly what he set out to do
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Sheffield United
- Looking back at Anthony Martial’s hat-trick against Sheffield United
- Marcos Rojo has three offers from clubs as he reportedly negotiates United pay-off