Bruno Fernandes had a low key performance for Manchester United by his standards.
Despite this the Portuguese maestro still managed to provide an assist, with his pass for Anthony Martial leading to United’s second goal.
This is the third time a Fernandes to Martial combination has worked, and it is one which we will see plenty more times in the future.
Fernandes’ assist takes him clear as United’s new leader in this category for the first time in the Premier League.
- Bruno Fernandes – 7
- Marcus Rashford – 6
- Dan James – 6
- Anthony Martial – 5
Fernandes has one other assist in the Europa League, taking his total tally to eight. In all competition he is also clear of his teammates.
What is most remarkable is that Fernandes has done this in limited game time.
He has seven assists in 11 games, a figure made even more impressive by the fact he has also scored seven goals.
Jesse Lingard by comparison has 0 goals and 0 assists in 20 Premier League appearances.
It is a big target with just three matches left, but it is possible that Fernandes ends the league season with 10 goals and 10 assists.
Just to get near though is impressive, considering he only signed for the club at the end of January.
United may get over the line and just about manage Champions League qualification. Our fate is still in our own hands.
But if we do not, it is clear that there will be one obvious reason why. The failure to sign Fernandes sooner.
If Fernandes had been at United since last August, Champions League qualification would already be wrapped up.
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Marcus Rashford ahead of quarter-final
- What next for Dean Henderson at Manchester United as Blades eye alternatives?
- Smart loan move could see Manchester United’s Tahith Chong blossom in two positions
- Three United players who would be impacted by Sancho’s potential arrival
- 10 years after failed Manchester United move, Adem Ljajic is linked with another Premier League club
- Dan James could be a Manchester United fringe player next season and that is no bad thing
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v FC Copenhagen
- Who is reported Manchester United target Alex Meret?
- Reaction to report Tahith Chong loan could be two-years long