Liverpool have agreed a £25 million deal to sign Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich, according to the BBC.
Earlier this month, ESPN reported that Manchester United had been invited to negotiate with the Spanish international.
The length of time Jurgen Klopp’s men took to get the deal done may have opened the door to United, but it ultimately hasn’t proved to be the case.
The Spaniard won the Champions League last month and would have been a stellar addition to United’s midfield.
This summer is not the first time United have been mentioned in relation to Thiago, either.
The Independent report that United had a deal in place to land Thiago back in 2013 after Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement.
David de Gea – as per the Telegraph – tried a charm offensive on international Under 21 duty but Thiago didn’t make the move to Manchester back then.
David Moyes apparently felt the midfielder wasn’t a player the club needed. He pulled the plug on the deal before signing Marouane Fellaini from Everton on transfer deadline day.
That adds to the frustration of Liverpool looking all set to do a deal which represents great value for an outstanding footballer.
The incompetence that leads a club to sign Fellaini over Thiago still permeates United’s transfer dealings at the club today.
With United still at an impasse over Jadon Sancho, some fans reacted on Twitter to Liverpool’s Thiago deal.
- Anthony Martial must take the positives from a negative start to the season
- United signing Cavani could make Chelsea regret not snapping him up
- Like Rooney, United must allow Greenwood to respond on the pitch
- Pellestri may have to prove his worth with Manchester United’s U23s first
- United loanee Diogo Dalot makes AC Milan debut in Europa League win
- Donny van de Beek will get his chance at United, he just needs to stay patient
- Alex Telles could be Manchester United’s best crosser since David Beckham
- David de Gea is rising to the challenge at United, once again