Manchester United fans react to hearing Matty Longstaff is returning for Newcastle
While Manchester United beat Newcastle 4-1 at Old Trafford in the last meeting between the two teams, the 1-0 defeat at St James’ Park remains a very bitter memory.
This was one of United’s worst performances and results under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer last season, with our struggles in front of goal capped by a Matty Longstaff winner at the other end.
Matty Longstaff’s name in itself still sends shivers down the spines of United supporters, as a memory of that dismal day last October.
He was at the time the lower profile Longstaff brother, with teammate Sean linked with a move to Manchester United months earlier.
Longstaff’s winner was his first professional goal, and his only one… until he struck at Old Trafford to give Newcastle the lead on Boxing Day last year.
He has two goals in nine senior games, both against Manchester United.
Now, ahead of United’s return to St James’ Park, he could be ready to go for a third.
We wrote this week, looking ahead, that Matty Longstaff was reported by PremierInjuries.com to have just a 25 per cent chance of being available for this weekend.
He has not played a single match all season, suffering a thigh injury.
Now The Athletic report Longstaff has been seen back in training ahead of Saturday’s fixture.
While Longstaff may not go straight back into the side – his brother Sean has played just three minutes this season in the Premier League – manager Steve Bruce may be tempted.
Longstaff, 20, can so far count his career highlights as his two goals against United. No other team has fallen victim to the midfielder’s scoring ability.
It feels like a running gag at this point with United the unwitting punchline at Longstaff’s expense.
The timing of his injury is frankly the last thing any United fan wants to see right now, amid a woeful start to the season including back to back defeats at Old Trafford…
- Ten Hag reportedly gives key role to Manchester United star with no appearances since December 2021
- Surprise Van Gaal signing and 3 other former Manchester United players who played under Omonia boss Lennon
- Poland youth international trains with Manchester United first team ahead of Europa League tie
- Ten Hag's Manchester United have to bounce back like Sir Alex Ferguson's did after City trouncing
- 18-time international hoping to follow in the footsteps of former Manchester United teammate
- Omonia boss Neil Lennon gives his verdict on Cristiano Ronaldo's lack of minutes at Manchester United
- 'Nothing more dangerous': Neil Lennon gives his verdict on Manchester United's hammering against Manchester City
- Manchester United announce 22-man travelling squad for Omonia game, new signing fit again
- Ten Hag press conference: Four Manchester United players ruled out of trip to Cyprus