Manchester United will face Atletico Madrid in the Champions League last-16 and not Paris Saint Germain, following a re-draw from UEFA.
United will face Atletico Madrid in a European competition for the first time since November 1991, when we were eliminated by the Spaniards in the second round of the European Cup Winners’ Cup.
David de Gea will face his former side for the first time since making the switch to Old Trafford a decade ago.
The Reds will renew acquaintances with former Liverpool striker Luis Suarez and will get a close up of our summer transfer target Kieran Trippier.
Cristiano Ronaldo will be hoping to crush Atletico’s hearts once again. The 36-year-old has 25 goals and nine assists to his name from 35 matches against Los Colchoneros.
Atletico are the 36-year-old’s favourite side when it comes to finding the back of the net.
Diego Simeone’s side are currently fourth in La Liga and 13 points off their fierce rivals Real Madrid, who they lost 2-0 to last night.
Unlike United, Atletico’s qualification for the last-16 went down to the wire, but they clinched their spot after beating Porto 3-1.
The Spanish giants lost both of their group games to Liverpool and only picked up one point from their three home matches.
However, the La Liga side have become one of the toughest teams in Europe under the stewardship of Simeone and they have reached the Champions League final twice in the last seven years.
But Simeone’s men ran into Real Madrid and Ronaldo on both occasions.
Here is how some Manchester United fans reacted on social media to the the news that we will be facing Atletico Madrid…
- Who is the winger with £67m release clause Manchester United are linked with signing?
- 'Good deal'… Rio Ferdinand gives his verdict on Manchester United star's loan exit
- 'Speed'… Boss says Manchester United 20-year-old's pace crucial to first ever international cap
- Anthony Martial's best 5 moments as a Manchester United player as Sevilla loan exit nears
- Manchester United forward Anthony Martial pictured in Spain ahead of joining Sevilla on loan