Manchester United fans react to Diogo Dalot's performance v Brentford
Diogo Dalot was awarded BT Sport’s man of the match as Manchester United beat Brentford 3-1.
While former United star Rio Ferdinand said he disagreed with the decision and it should have went to Scott McTominay, Dalot was very good regardless.
Dalot was making his 50th Manchester United appearance last night. It has taken a long time since he joined in 2018.
Injuries first held him back after his move from Porto, and then he suffered from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer simply not believing in him.
After a year on loan at AC Milan, and then being overlooked by Solskjaer again this season, Dalot has become reborn under Ralf Rangnick.
The right-back’s performance at Brentford showed why Jose Mourinho was so keen to sign him four years ago.
Dalot made 16 ball recoveries, more than any player on the pitch, and won three aerial duels.
He won three tackles, made three interceptions and made seven clearances, and also came close to breaking the deadlock in the first half with a shot which fizzed just past the post.
The right-back spot now looks like it is Dalot’s at last. Aaron Wan-Bissaka missed the game due to illness, and he faces a real battle to get back into the side.
The former Crystal Palace defender has not kicked on and while Dalot is only 22 and still learning, he is showing a real resilience which has helped suggest he may be United’s best option.
A run of games is clearly helping him. Solskjaer would put him in for an odd game when needed, and then when he struggled, he would be out of the side for weeks.
Rangnick has made the contest for right-back a fair battle, and Dalot has risen to the challenge. United fans are loving what he has been showing.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to Dalot’s performance…
- Photo: Frenkie de Jong announces he is engaged and Manchester United star sends congratulations
- Manchester United have just struck a deal Ralf Rangnick would be proud of
- 19-year-old Manchester United talent nominated for award after winning international trophy
- David Ornstein reports Manchester United's deal to sign exciting target is 'on track' despite complication
- Erik ten Hag shakes hands with Manchester United star and doesn't want to let go
- De Jong's advisors tell midfielder Manchester United is best club for him
- Photo: Tyrell Malacia pictured working out ahead of Manchester United move
- Amazon could show Manchester United's European games from 2024/25
- 4-3-3: Manchester United's exciting XI for 22/23 with potentially 5 new signings
- United target Antony shares training video despite telling Ajax he won't return until August