United fans react to Fred's cameo performance against West Ham
Fred being named on the bench for Manchester United against West Ham came as a disappointment.
The Brazilian was a bright spark in the win over Leicester as a substitute and impressed against Astana in the Europa League.
He came on with 20 minutes to go with United already losing, and while unable to change the result, he offered a few encouraging signs.
Once again his movement and energy was noticeable in a previously very static and tepid midfield. It had come as no surprise that he was called on to replace Nemanja Matic.
Fred actually created two chances in 20 minutes, and remarkably this was more than any United player managed all game. He had also led United in key passes against Astana.
He made 27 passes in total, just one fewer than Andreas Pereira made in 90 minutes.
Not many fans are expecting Fred to single handedly turn United around, but he is looking like the best option we have in midfield with Paul Pogba out injured.
Playing Matic over Fred seemed like a mistake, and his performance suggested as much. He has to start against Arsenal in next week, and that might mean he should be rested against Rochdale just to keep him fresh.
Scott McTominay is a good player but a limited one. He has not shown an ability to contribute in the final third this season. Picking him alongside Matic does not really work. Fred offers far more balance to United’s midfield and we need to see more of him.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to Fred’s contribution…
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals