When a transfer rumour is too good to be true, it usually means you should not trust it.
This applies perfectly in the case of Bayern Munich midfielder Leon Goretzka.
German newspaper BILD report United are keen on Goretzka as a possible replacement for Pogba, if one is needed.
Goretzka has become one of Bayern’s best players since joining the club from Schalke in 2018.
United had been linked to him in 2017, Sky Sports reported, but as so often with the best German talent, once Bayern get involved there was only one place he was going.
The central midfielder has won three consecutive Bundesliga titles, one German Cup, and one Champions League, while scoring 25 goals from midfield.
At 26 he has no reason to want to move on, and these reports should be treated with extreme suspicion.
There is an argument to be put forward that Goretzka would be an upgrade on Pogba, especially if the Frenchman does not commit to a new contract at United this summer.
But as Fjortoft points out above, United are just being used here. It’s a tale we have seen play out so many times before.
Bayern will pull out all the stops to re-sign Goretzka, and one way or another they will inevitably extend his deal.
This one just isn’t worth getting your hopes up over.
- Cristiano Ronaldo pictured back in Manchester United training
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants ‘complete’ midfielders in his United side
- Cavani not ready for West Ham clash but will hopefully return next week
- Recent United target Eduardo Camavinga makes flying start at Madrid
- West Ham’s Croatia trip gives Manchester United a rare advantage
- Patrice Evra reacts to reports Cristiano Ronaldo moved home due to ‘noisy sheep’
- How will James Garner be affected by Nottingham Forest sacking Hughton?
- Raphael Varane’s freakishly unlucky Champions League opening game record
- Manchester United’s ‘What If…?’ moment: Jude Bellingham would have completed Red Devils team
- German press react to Jadon Sancho’s slow start at Manchester United