Joel Pereira's struggles on loan at Hearts continue
Manchester United loanee Joel Pereira’s struggles on loan at Hearts are continuing.
He conceded five goals last night as his side were thumped by Celtic. Pereira has now let in 11 strikes in the past three matches.
Former United trainee Michael Stewart, a pundit for BT Sport, said on Twitter: “I’ve said it many times that Pereira isn’t good enough. The deal to get Craig Gordon should’ve been done.”
Pereira headed to Scotland on loan with high hopes that he could shine and follow Dean Henderson’s success out on loan at Sheffield United.
Rather than the making of him, the loan spell is threatening to break him. His prospects of ever becoming United number one look very, very slim.
These comments from Hearts fans tell their own story about how Pereira’s loan spell has nosedived.
A week ago Edinburgh News reported that Pereira apologised to his teammates in the dressing room
Today the same paper report Pereira’s status as Hearts’ number one ‘is under serious threat’ after his performance against Celtic.
In balance, Pereira’s four saves at the end of the game were praised, but it was noted that the third goal was down to an individual error, the third match in a row he has made a mistake to concede.
The situation just can’t continue like that and Hearts sit bottom of the league by a point. With relegation staring them in the face, Pereira is becoming more of a liability than an asset.
It is a shame to see for a goalkeeper who was once held in such high regard at Manchester United.
Perhaps this is rock bottom for him, but it’s a long way backup the mountain for the 23-year-old from here.
- Rangnick says 17-year-old Manchester United wonderkid faces battle to play v Palace
- Rangnick's final XI: Predicted 4-3-3 Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace: 4 changes
- 'He can do everything'… Manchester United target can succeed where Red Devils star has struggled
- Dortmund sacking shows Manchester United have landed a real coup
- Rangnick says Manchester United star will miss training tomorrow and may not play vs Palace