Jesse Lingard sends emotional message to Manchester United fans
Jesse Lingard has sent an emotional message to supporters admitting he needs to do better after a tough season.
Lingard says he ‘lost himself as a person’ amid a terrible run of form which saw him lose his place in Manchester United’s team.
After Bruno Fernandes’ arrival Lingard frequently failed to even make United’s matchday squad.
Lingard did at least end the season with a flourish by scoring on the final day of the season in the win over Leicester, to add to United’s lead.
This prompted a big celebration, with Lingard’s United teammates clearly delighted for him.
Will it be enough?
Lingard is up against it to stay at Manchester United if he wants to play regular football. He will have to accept being a squad player in order to stay.
Andreas Pereira scored a late goal similarly in the game against LASK, and after a break, he found himself shut out of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s team selections. His goal counted for nothing.
The same could happen to Lingard, although his season may not quite be done yet. He has a chance to try and build on his final day goal in the Europa League.
Linagrd has been too inconsistent and ineffective this past season to really mount a substantial case to stay.
United would be keeping him for sentimental and team camaraderie reasons rather than footballing ones.
He may get one more year, but there will be added competition for places from new signings, and he will have to majorly lift his game.
The ideal scenario would still probably be for Lingard to play a part in United winning the Europa League, and for him to leave on a high.
United need to be ruthless, and updating squad depth to move Lingard on and replace him is part of that.
- Manchester United have already brought in the perfect person to deal with Ronaldo exit
- Anthony Martial gives three-word verdict on training under Erik ten Hag
- Romano says 'priority' Manchester United target has told club he wants to leave
- 'This can't be'… Gary Neville gives verdict on Cristiano Ronaldo's desire to leave Manchester United
- Photos: Bruno Fernandes and Facundo Pellistri enjoy first Manchester United training session
- UEFA Conference League side hoping to re-sign Manchester United midfielder
- Manchester United midfielder given extra time off before returning for pre-season
- 'Back to business': £34m Manchester United star raring to go upon his return to Carrington
- Released Manchester United academy star joins League One side