Manchester United midfielder Jesse Lingard has praised his England team-mate Jadon Sancho amid speculation linking him with a summer move to Old Trafford.
The Telegraph are among those reporting United’s interest in the England winger and Lingard said the Borussia Dortmund man would have a big impact.
When asked if he would like to see Sancho join United, on a conference call Lingard said: “That’s up to him. He’s a brilliant player, I’ve seen him at England and seen his qualities and he would be a great addition to any team.”
Sancho would likely go straight into the United side if he joined, but Lingard has been on the fringes lately.
Lingard determined to make an impact
Lingard also spoke of the work he had done during lockdown to try and put himself in the best possible position to get back into the United side.
He is yet to start a Premier League game since football’s return but Lingard says he is awaiting a chance to impact United’s season.
When asked if there was more pressure coming on as sub, like Lingard did in his last appearance against Crystal Palace, he said: “You can always make an impact in the game whether you get five minutes or 25.
“I’ve been training well, getting confidence, it’s just about taking what I do in training into games. I’ll be patient and I’ll wait for my opportunity. I know personally I’ve not been at it (earlier this season).
“I’ve been working hard and I’m waiting for my opportunity now.”
Will Solskjaer give him a chance?
United made major changes against Chelsea on Sunday, and Lingard did not feature.
Similarly, when United needed a goal against West Ham last night, Lingard remained unused on the substitutes bench.
Perhaps the Europa League will provide Lingard with the chance he craves, especially with many of United’s first-teamers looking exhausted against the Hammers.
The England international is clearly keen to leave a mark on United’s season, despite admitting he wasn’t at his best in the early part of it.
Jesse Lingard is an ambassador for American Pistachio Growers using American pistachios as a go-to snack for training and physical recovery. Visit https://americanpistachios.co.uk/ for more information.
- Paul Pogba blames the heat for France’s disappointing Euro 2020 performance against Hungary
- Academy talent Johan Guadagno doing extra training in off-season
- Dan James helps Wales reach last 16 at Euro 2020
- PSG pushing to beat Manchester United in Varane race
- United’s latest bid for Sancho verified but not approved
- McTominay better than Rice says ex United star
- Jadon Sancho to Manchester United: Moving forward?
- Dean Henderson now has perfect chance to reinforce his Manchester United position
- Former Leeds fan favourite spotted wearing Manchester United shirt
- Three reasons Manchester United should avoid Sergio Ramos signing