Manchester United midfielder Jesse Lingard has praised his England team-mate Jadon Sancho amid speculation linking him with a summer move to Old Trafford.
The Telegraph are among those reporting United’s interest in the England winger and Lingard said the Borussia Dortmund man would have a big impact.
When asked if he would like to see Sancho join United, on a conference call Lingard said: “That’s up to him. He’s a brilliant player, I’ve seen him at England and seen his qualities and he would be a great addition to any team.”
Sancho would likely go straight into the United side if he joined, but Lingard has been on the fringes lately.
Lingard determined to make an impact
Lingard also spoke of the work he had done during lockdown to try and put himself in the best possible position to get back into the United side.
He is yet to start a Premier League game since football’s return but Lingard says he is awaiting a chance to impact United’s season.
When asked if there was more pressure coming on as sub, like Lingard did in his last appearance against Crystal Palace, he said: “You can always make an impact in the game whether you get five minutes or 25.
“I’ve been training well, getting confidence, it’s just about taking what I do in training into games. I’ll be patient and I’ll wait for my opportunity. I know personally I’ve not been at it (earlier this season).
“I’ve been working hard and I’m waiting for my opportunity now.”
Will Solskjaer give him a chance?
United made major changes against Chelsea on Sunday, and Lingard did not feature.
Similarly, when United needed a goal against West Ham last night, Lingard remained unused on the substitutes bench.
Perhaps the Europa League will provide Lingard with the chance he craves, especially with many of United’s first-teamers looking exhausted against the Hammers.
The England international is clearly keen to leave a mark on United’s season, despite admitting he wasn’t at his best in the early part of it.
Jesse Lingard is an ambassador for American Pistachio Growers using American pistachios as a go-to snack for training and physical recovery. Visit https://americanpistachios.co.uk/ for more information.
- What United would gain and lose by pursuing Coman as Sancho alternative
- Manchester United bound Hansen-Aaroen provides first senior assist
- United academy talent Charlie Wellens could have unique under-23 opportunity
- United youngster D’Mani Mellor says he has torn ACL
- A night made for Dan James sees him left on the bench
- Expensive midfield combination of Fred and Paul Pogba needs work
- Five reasons to be hopeful Jadon Sancho will sign for Manchester United
- Guillermo Varela reacts to defeat to Manchester United
- Manchester United fans react to Harry Maguire’s performance
- Mason Greenwood shows his annoyance after United win after his goal was disallowed