Jack Kingdon sends message after making Manchester United under-18s debut
Before Manchester United announced plans to rip up football as we know it, there was an academy match played at the weekend.
For one young player, United’s under-18s match was a big career moment.
Step forward young centre-back Jack Kingdon.
Kingdon signed for United last November, agreeing a move from Morecambe.
Kingdon was called up from the under-16s to start for United’s under-18s team against Newcastle at the weekend. This was his first ever appearances for the 18s.
United fell to a 3-2 loss in the fixture, a disappointing way for Kingdon to mark his debut, but it was encouraging simply to be there.
There were a few factors behind Kingdon’s debut, including injuries to under-18 defenders including Willy Kambwala, who has been out since making his debut last year.
One factor was that the coaching staff trusted the young talent to be able to step up, and Kingdon could become a regular at this level next season. He sent a message out expressing his happiness at being involved.
Kingdon actually previously played under-18s football for Morecambe so he was prepared for the step up.
He is a player to watch for the future even if the first team seems three or four years away.
And in the current climate of Super League proposals, who knows what the first team picture will look like in a few years time.
All Kingdon et al can do for now is keep on working hard in the academy and wait for a chance to present itself, like it did at the weekend.
- 21-year-old striker confirms Manchester United exit on Instagram
- 'Monster' ex Manchester United centre-back used to demand to train 1 v 2
- Manchester United transfer target nicknamed 'the butcher of Amsterdam', he shut Haaland down
- Manchester United loanee backed to 'score lots of goals' under Erik ten Hag
- Manchester United should listen to Ten Hag's words and offer swap deal to get Antony: Opinion
- Manchester United star says he can't relax this summer due to Ten Hag arrival
- Glazers will sell Manchester United for right price, says Michael Knighton, who calls for talks with Ratcliffe over investment
- 'Unreal', 'Absolute player'… Teammates react as 21-year-old Manchester United talent's loan spell ends
- 5 Darwin Nunez alternatives for Manchester United, including award-winning 34-goal forward
- 7 Argentina players who have played for Manchester United including a now 38-year-old free agent