Before Manchester United announced plans to rip up football as we know it, there was an academy match played at the weekend.
For one young player, United’s under-18s match was a big career moment.
Step forward young centre-back Jack Kingdon.
Kingdon signed for United last November, agreeing a move from Morecambe.
Kingdon was called up from the under-16s to start for United’s under-18s team against Newcastle at the weekend. This was his first ever appearances for the 18s.
United fell to a 3-2 loss in the fixture, a disappointing way for Kingdon to mark his debut, but it was encouraging simply to be there.
There were a few factors behind Kingdon’s debut, including injuries to under-18 defenders including Willy Kambwala, who has been out since making his debut last year.
One factor was that the coaching staff trusted the young talent to be able to step up, and Kingdon could become a regular at this level next season. He sent a message out expressing his happiness at being involved.
Kingdon actually previously played under-18s football for Morecambe so he was prepared for the step up.
He is a player to watch for the future even if the first team seems three or four years away.
And in the current climate of Super League proposals, who knows what the first team picture will look like in a few years time.
All Kingdon et al can do for now is keep on working hard in the academy and wait for a chance to present itself, like it did at the weekend.
- Villarreal striker Moreno scores 29th goal of the season ahead of United clash
- Manchester United target Sven Botman produces man of the match performance for Lille
- Dan James returns to Manchester United training
- Who is reported Manchester United target Mauro Arambarri?
- Goalkeepers who have scored for Manchester United
- Anthony Martial returns to first team training
- Three early questions for Manchester United ahead of Europa League final
- Three relegated players Manchester United could try to sign
- Three questions for Manchester United ahead of Fulham game
- Fred sends message after winning first Brazil call since 2018