Iker Casillas picks two Manchester United heroes in his greatest ever XI
Former Real Madrid star Iker Casillas has named two Manchester United heroes in his greatest ever XI.
The World Cup winning goalkeeper selected Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs in his XI, alongside the likes of Marco van Basten, Paulo Maldini and Lothar Matthaus.
Casillas was selecting the team for Marca, as part of a series of ‘dream XI’s picked by players and managers past and present.
The former Real star had many duels against United in the early 2000s, with Scholes and Giggs playing a prominent part.
Casillas retired from playing last year after a storied career, finishing with a stint at Porto.
Also notable: Former United defender Gerard Pique put together a ‘dream team’ based of current stars.
The Barcelona ace selected two United players, David de Gea and Paul Pogba in his XI.
Former United boss Jose Mourinho chose to pick a team based of players he had previously managed.
Perhaps unsurprisingly he named not a single Manchester United player.
His team was based of Real Madrid, Chelsea and Porto players, with one Inter Milan defender Javier Zanetti making the cut.
We shouldn’t be surprised. But it underlines how disappointing the Portuguese’s stint at Old Trafford was and he looks back on it in the same way.
- Club confirm signing of 'high calibre' young player released by Manchester United
- Opinion: Cristiano Ronaldo frustration is understandable as Murtough continues to strike out
- Reward for failure: MUST criticise 'indefensible' £11m Glazer dividend payment
- 'Graveyard'… Neville says Glazers to blame as Manchester United battle for signing
- Last ditch effort to sign Manchester United midfielder being considered, 51 games played this season