Manchester United were not the only team in Group F to receive a frustrating red card on Tuesday.
Villarreal suffered a sending off against Atalanta, albeit a less costly one.
Midfielder Francis Coquelin was dismissed for two yellow cards in the Champions League group game.
He will now be suspended for Villarreal’s visit to Old Trafford in two week’s time.
Coquelin had come off the bench in the 60th minute and was sent off for two bookings in the 83rd.
Makes it tougher for Villarreal to frustrate United
Former Arsenal midfielder Coquelin was in the Gunners’ side which were ripped apart by United in an 8-2 scoreline in 2011 on his Premier League debut.
So Coquelin may be relieved to avoid a trip to Old Trafford. You could joke it was even deliberate.
But he has grown considerably as a player since, and is highly rated by Villarreal boss Unai Emery.
Emery brought Coquelin on in the Europa League final against United in the 60th minute, five minutes after Edinson Cavani’s equaliser.
This tactical switch helped Villarreal to calm a dominant spell from United and the Spanish side went on to see the scoreline through a further hour of action including extra-time.
Coquelin then scored his penalty in the shootout, with United losing 11-10 on spot-kicks.
So this tactical switch to try and frustrate United will not be an option available to Emery at Old Trafford.
And with Coquelin having experience playing in England, Emery may well have gone with him for this away game, even though he has been a substitute in each of their matches this season.
How long is Wan-Bissaka suspended?
Aaron Wan-Bissaka will be suspended for one Champions League match.
Even though his sending off was a straight red card, the punishment is still the same as for a double yellow.
UEFA have the option to extend Wan-Bissaka’s ban if they deem it to be a particularly serious offence. Although in this case it is unlikely.
He will miss the game at home to Villarreal and Diogo Dalot will deputise. It is important the Portuguese defender stays fit and available for the fixture, and he will likely feature against West Ham in the cup a week earlier.
- Should Solskjaer start Jesse Lingard against Aston Villa and how would he fit in?
- Three players linked with Manchester United transfer moves this week
- Two Manchester United players have turned Cristiano Ronaldo deal from luxury to necessity
- Two Manchester United academy players react after meeting Ronaldo for the first time
- Ethan Laird told to start scoring goals to take his game to the next level
- Aston Villa suffer double injury blow ahead of Manchester United clash
- Little margin for error as Solskjaer cannot afford Champions League early KO
- Solskjaer urged to make ‘cut throat’ team selections for Manchester United
- Manchester United now have fixture boost for next month’s Tottenham clash
- Teenager Harrison Parker appears to confirm United academy switch on Instagram