Dean Henderson is set to start for Manchester United tonight, according to the Manchester Evening News.
Henderson’s summer and pre-season were disrupted, meaning he hasn’t made a single appearance so far this season.
First, he was ruled out of England’s Euro 2020 squad with a hip injury, with Aaron Ramsdale taking his place.
He started pre-season before it was interrupted by the lingering impact of Covid.
That meant he missed an opportunity to steal a march on David de Gea in the race to be United’s number one.
De Gea has taken his chance to shine, with a strong start to the season reaching a peak when he saved Mark Noble’s late penalty against West Ham on Sunday.
But the Spaniard is apparently set to be rested for tonight’s meeting with the same opponents.
Henderson returned to United training last month and has been working his way back to fitness.
And now he looks set to get his first start of the season as United get their EFL Cup campaign underway.
Tom Heaton may well be disappointed, having performed well through pre-season in Henderson’s absence.
That said, the former Aston Villa stopper must know he’s third choice and if Henderson is fit, he’ll get the nod over him.
- Tielemans dominated United and showed Solskjaer what he needs and lacks
- Bruno Fernandes made most key passes in the Premier League at weekend
- Manchester United’s players ‘lack grit’ says BBC pundit
- Kobbie Mainoo scores incredible solo goal for England under-17s
- Josip Ilicic hits form at worst possible time for Manchester United