Harry Maguire out injured for Wolves game, Eric Bailly could replace him
Manchester United will make defensive changes against Wolves for tonight’s fixture, with captain Harry Maguire set to miss out.
The Athletic report Maguire will miss the game, although it is unclear how long he will be out beyond that.
Eric Bailly is available as he has not yet left for the African Cup of Nations. Both Liverpool and Chelsea’s African stars played yesterday and then flew out to the tournament.
Bailly would partner Raphael Varane in central defence, who will be ready to start the fixture after being rested against Burnley.
Victor Lindelof is still out with Covid, although he could return for United’s FA Cup game next week.
Limited defensive options
With Maguire and Lindelof out, Varane and Bailly have a chance to play together for the first time. Potentially they could be a strong partnership and this is a real opportunity.
The problem both have faced is a battle with injuries, and it would be a success just for both to complete 90 minutes.
Bailly went off injured against Burnley but is fit to play, with the injury just a knock.
Phil Jones would be next in line and he will be on the bench once again as he looks to make his first appearance since 2020.
Jones has an outside chance of starting if either Varane or Bailly suffer a setback.
United’s options beyond that include Nemanja Matic, who played centre-back against Young Boys, or Scott McTominay, or even Luke Shaw.
Teden Mengi is reported to be closing in on a loan move to Birmingham City.
- Report: Manchester United enquire after Mexico international winger who is open to offers
- 18 wins from 20 games: Star has good reason for being tempted by Manchester United move
- Photo: 20-year-old Manchester United wonderkid compared to De Ligt closing in on return after being missing all summer
- World Cup '94 winner says Manchester United transfer target has already surpassed him
- £59.7m Manchester United target reportedly set to sign four-year deal around £350,000 per week