Manchester United needed that win. Badly.
While Tottenham were so poor it is tough to read too much into the win, it was an enjoyable 90 minutes.
After last week’s horror show, we deserved a game to savour.
The players and coaches had clearly worked hard, and two of the most disappointing players a week ago were among those to step up.
Club captain Harry Maguire came in for a lot of flak after the Liverpool game, deservedly so.
He displayed an improvement against Spurs, boosted by a shift to three at the back and the return of Raphael Varane.
Maguire sent a message after the victory, expressing how pleased he was with the turnaround, and clean sheet.
McTominay justifies selection
Scott McTominay was listless in midfield against Liverpool and was lucky to retain his place for the Tottenham game.
So he needed a big performance for United in North London, and thankfully he delivered.
McTominay completed 95 per cent of his passes in an all action display, making four tackles.
He sent a message expressing his joy at the win, noting what a ‘horrible week’ it had been.
United have two big matches coming up before the international break.
The club visit Italy to face Atalanta on Tuesday night in a big Champions League group game.
Then there is the derby against Manchester City on Saturday lunchtime.
That will be a more accurate measure of where United are than this game against a terrible Tottenham team. But the victory gives the team and fans some confidence.
If the side can follow this up with three points in Italy in midweek then there will be some real momentum for the City game.
- Some Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial's performance
- Paul Pogba reacts to Manchester United's 1-0 win over West Ham
- Photo: Anthony Martial pictured embracing Ralf Rangnick after Manchester United beat West Ham
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's display v West Ham
- 'This is Manchester United'…Defender with 4 tackles and 2 key passes celebrates vital win
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after dramatic 1-0 win
- Gary Neville and Marcus Rashford react to Manchester United's late winner vs West Ham
- Rio Ferdinand's instant reaction as Manchester United beat West Ham 1-0
- 6 things we learned as Manchester United beat West Ham 1-0
- Ralf Rangnick speaks about Cristiano Ronaldo and Edinson Cavani's fitness before West Ham clash
- Confirmed Manchester United line-up v West Ham: Ronaldo starts, Cavani on bench