Gary Neville reacts to Edinson Cavani's performance
Edinson Cavani started just his second match of the season for Manchester United last night.
This time Cavani played alongside Ronaldo, rather than instead of him, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer concocting a way to get both into the same starting line-up.
The decision paid off with Ronaldo scoring the opener and then he benefited from an assist from his strike partner to score United’s second.
Former United star Gary Neville lauded Cavani’s contribution.
Neville told Sky’s commentary: “He’s a massive personality and character that the team lack when he doesnt play. He fights for every ball.”
Cavani came close to breaking the deadlock in the first half when he floated a header just wide.
When his chance came in the second half he made no mistake, burying his one on one past Hugo Lloris in clinical style.
This was Cavani’s first goal of the season and it is likely to be the first of many. Even with a similarly slow start last season he ended up with 17 goals.
If the early Ronaldo and Cavani link-up is anything to go by, the signs are promising.
The pair are two outstanding finishers and they have caused trouble for teams when they have been on the pitch together, with Ronaldo’s two late Champions League goals coming when Cavani was on the pitch.
Cavani did limp off late in the game and was replaced by Marcus Rashford.
Rashford scored and he will be keen to get back into the starting line-up if Cavani is not ready for Tuesday night.
The England international gives a very different option to Cavani with his pace, and he has been pretty clinical too, with three goals in four since his return.
- 'Really good': Erik ten Hag says he has been impressed by 'high potential' Manchester United player in training
- 7 Manchester United players could make first appearance against Manchester City for Red Devils
- Pep Guardiola hails 'incredible' Manchester United player as well as 4 Red Devils midfielders
- Ten Hag press conference: Manchester United star doing 'really well' in training, could come into team vs City
- 4-3-3: Manchester United's strongest XI on FIFA 23, top scorer and two Ten Hag favourites miss out