Fred has told Manchester United’s official website he feels like he is at the peak of his career.
The Brazilian is into his fourth season as a Manchester United player after signing for the Red Devils from Shakhtar Donetsk in 2018.
Now 28, Fred is a regular for club and country and is looking to keep on enjoying his role.
Fred said: “It’s an age when you’ve already experienced a great deal since turning professional, I’ve been through good and bad things.
“Also you’re playing at a massive club like United, the biggest in the world for me. I think it is the peak of my career, It’s a marvellous time for me, my best moment.”
Still working to improve
While Fred says he is enjoying his football more than ever, he still says he is working to get better.
He explains that he has been working hard on his positioning when receiving the ball, to play a more direct style so that he is better equipped to play forward passes.
The midfielder adds that he has been doing extra training to try and improve his game.
Fred says: “I aim to improve and work a lot after training on my passing. Sometimes turning in the midfield, things more specific to my position.
“As I’ve said before, my objective is to get the ball to the forwards, to always be ready to receive the ball from the centre-backs, receive a pass and have the right body position to control it and find a good pass.
“This is the most important area to improve and develop in my position. I visualise this every day so I look to improve on positioning on the pitch, an additional pass, turns during a game, that’s what I look to work on every day.”
This season Fred has played 11 passes into the final third, with one entering the opposition penalty area. He has completed 30 passes under pressure from an opponent, the fourth highest in the United squad, with Paul Pogba highest on 45.
Any time a player is doing extra training and putting more work in to improve it should be commended, and it is positive in Fred’s case in the context of him believing he is at the peak of his career.
It would be easy for any player who says that to get complacent. Instead Fred wants to kick on and ensure it lasts as long as possible. There may be a higher level he can get to.
Midfield is an area United need to improve, and at present Fred is seen as part of the solution. He is likely to continue to play an important role as the season goes on.
- Next Manchester United manager: Four replacements if Solskjaer is sacked
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- David de Gea sends strong message to Manchester United fans
- Jesse Lingard clarifies what happened with Manchester United fan
- Bastian Schweinsteiger reacts to Manchester United’s defeat to Liverpool
- ‘Paul Scholes was right’… United fans react to Liverpool defeat
- Solskjaer reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Harry Maguire reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Manchester United’s three worst players against Liverpool
- Sir Alex Ferguson fumes as Manchester United hammered by Liverpool