Donny van de Beek’s arrival at Manchester United has finally been confirmed.
With some players, there can be a bit of a wait before their new squad number is revealed, but that’s not the case for the Dutchman.
It has already been decided that van de Beek will wear number 34 at Old Trafford.
That is in tribute to his close friend Abdelhak Nouri, who suffered a heart attack aged just 20, which sadly ended his career.
Van de Beek has taken the number over from Dean Henderson, who had been training in it following his return from loan at Sheffield United.
Here is a look at five possible new numbers for Henderson…
Chris Smalling is the current holder of the number 12 shirt, but Goal are among the various outlets reporting his talks over a move to Roma.
If the Englishman does make a permanent return to the Serie A club where he spent last season on loan, Henderson could take over his shirt.
13 is perhaps a more traditional number for a goalkeeper, but with Lee Grant currently in that one, 12 isn’t a bad alternative at all.
Marcos Rojo is another player who could be set to leave Old Trafford this summer.
If that were the case, 16 would come free. Traditionally it has been a central midfielder’s number at United, however, most notably worn by Roy Keane and Michael Carrick.
19 has some goalkeeping pedigree at Old Trafford.
It was the number Edwin van der Sar wore for his first campaign at the club, the 2005/06 season, after his move from Fulham.
If none of the numbers above are to Henderson’s liking, and Sergio Romero doesn’t leave and vacate 22, this is his next best option.
The last wearer of the shirt was Marouane Fellaini, who, truth be told, never looked like a Manchester United player.
Henderson does, and has the option to start his United journey in the jersey.
Henderson wore number 30 for Grimsby during his loan spell there for seven months of the 2016-17 season.
Young stopper Nathan Bishop has the jersey right now, but Henderson’s desire would likely take priority if he wanted it.
- Manchester United could net £5 million Romelu Lukaku sell-on fee
- Paul Pogba pictured back in Manchester United training
- Gary Neville praises Varane deal and comments on Manchester United title challenge
- Can Harry Kane hold out one more year for Manchester United move?
- Wan-Bissaka reportedly doing individual training programme after picking up injury
- Luke Shaw pictured back in training still wearing wrist cast
- Andreas Pereira says he has a talent not many Brazilian players have
- David de Gea pictured back in training for Manchester United
- Harry Maguire and Scott McTominay send messages to Dean Henderson