Here we go again. Another Portuguese based talent is claimed to be on Manchester United’s radar.
The Mail report Florentino Luis is the latest Benfica player to catch United’s eye.
United signed Victor Lindelöf from Benfica two years ago and were linked to Ruben Dias this summer.
Luis is one of Benfica’s most highly rated young talents, and we could hear a lot more about him in transfer windows to come.
Here are five facts about Florentino Luis…
- Florentino Luis is a 20-year-old defensive midfielder. He has started five games this season, with Benfica keeping clean sheets in four of them. This brings his tally of first team appearances to 21 after breaking into the side last season.
- He has a massive £91 million release clause in his contract. He signed new deal in the summer which runs until 2024. Prior to this he had a £52 million clause in his deal.
- Paris Saint-Germain had a bid turned down for him last year, The Guardian reported. Manchester City are also claimed to be keen.
- His statistics this season are highly impressive. He has a pass completion rate of 89 per cent, and is averaging 3.5 tackles per game and 4.3 interceptions.
- This season he will play in the Champions League for the first time, against RB Leipzig, Zenit and Lyon. He has three Europa League appearances to his name last season.
Will United sign him?
This is going to be a really difficult transfer for United to pull off.
Benfica showed this summer they are happy to make teams pay their sky high release clauses, with Atletico Madrid coughing up £107 million for Joao Felix.
The knock on effect is Benfica not needing to sell Florentino any time soon.
He is a really exciting prospect, who could be a proper replacement for Nemanja Matic in defensive midfield.
There will be cheaper options, but at just 20 Florentino has a high upside.
How he gets on in the Champions League this season could influence United’s planning.
Given the way the Bruno Fernandes saga panned out, just prepare for plenty of links to Florentino over the next year, which may end up amounting to nothing.
- Mike Phelan and Marcus Rashford send messages to United fans
- ‘Unplayable’… United fans react to Marcus Rashford’s performance
- Five things we learned as Manchester United beat Tottenham 2-1
- Anthony Martial injury update does not sound good
- Herrera at centre-back and post-game meltdown, how United lost to Spurs in 2018