Facundo Pellistri returns to training for Alaves after Covid KO
Facundo Pellistri has returned to training for Spanish side Alaves after a short spell out of the side with Covid.
The Uruguayan has not played a game since December 18, after the Spanish winter break, and then testing positive for Covid [via MEN] and missing out on the draw with Real Sociedad last weekend.
Now Pellistri has been given the all clear and has returned to training for Alaves.
Pellistri needs a big 2022
The only goal Facundo Pellistri scored in 2021 was the one he netted in pre-season for Manchester United against Derby County.
That cameo performance gave an exciting glimpse of his potential which has only rarely been seen during his difficult displays for Alaves.
Pellistri sees little of the ball for the Spanish relegation battlers, and is often used as a substitute. This season he has six starts and 10 appearances from the bench, and has not completed 90 minutes all season. In fact he has not even reached the 80 minute mark.
Manchester United will be considering what to do next with Pellistri, and it is notable that he has not yet been recalled.
Ethan Laird has just seen his loan club swapped from Swansea to Bournemouth, under United’s direction, and it is possible Pellistri ends up switching to a different side before January is over.
United might just be waiting to see what Alaves’ new manager José Luis Mendilibar makes of the winger. He took over the La Liga side at the end of December after Javier Calleja was fired.
Mendilibar’s Alaves secured a 1-1 draw against Sociedad without Pellistri last weekend, and the door may be open for the winger to get into the team.
Alaves face Athletic Bilbao on Sunday, and then there is a nine day break before they take on Real Betis. It’s possible if United do make a decision on Pellistri, it comes between those two matches.
- Star set to complete Manchester United move once £5m bonus dispute with club is sorted: Report
- Deal close: Manchester United hope to finalise £69m De Jong move by end of the week
- 'Watch Love Island instead': Six worst/funniest reviews left by Manchester United fans on Paul Pogba's documentary
- Report: 'Outstanding' 22-year-old talent is now all set to leave Manchester United on loan
- 'Already had contact': Club chiefs admit they have had transfer interest in reported Manchester United target