Life at Alaves is suddenly looking up for Manchester United loanee Facundo Pellistri.
Pellistri’s Alaves had won just one game all season before this past weekend.
After a 2-0 win over Cadiz at the weekend, Alaves notched up another victory over Elche last night, winning 1-0.
Pellistri started in both games and was applauded off by supporters last night.
The Uruguayan is looking ahead to the team’s next match, a more challenging game against a less daunting than usual Barcelona.
Pellistri on the rise
Alaves’ back to back wins have lifted them to 16th in the La Liga table, two points clear the relegation zone.
Pellistri started the game and played 73 minutes, taken off as Alaves re-adjusted and tried to protect their 1-0 lead.
The Manchester United loanee saw little of the ball during his time on the pitch but used it well when he was in possession.
With just 28 touches, Pellistri managed to create two goalscoring chances.
The young winger made one tackle, won two headers and made two clearances as he contributed to his side’s defensive efforts.
Ready for Barcelona
Last season Pellistri saw his Alaves side beaten 5-1 by Barcelona at the Nou Camp, although he was an unused substitute as Lionel Messi scored twice in the win for the home side.
This coming weekend Alaves will feel like they have a real shot against a Barcelona team who are still searching for a post-Messi identity.
Alaves secured a surprise win over champions Atletico Madrid last month and on the back of two victories they will head to the Nou Camp full of confidence.
For Pellistri even to mention this after the game shows how ready they are to embrace the match-up, and he will fancy his chances of starting the game.
Barcelona have lost two of their last three games.
- Rangnick tipped to have same impact at United like Tuchel did at Chelsea
- Manchester United fans react to Dusan Vlahovic reports
- Ralf Rangnick’s comments bring cause for concern for Luke Shaw
- Michael Carrick praises ‘terrific’ Jadon Sancho in press conference
- Manchester United predicted line-up v Chelsea
- German football expert predicts that Sancho will be perfect for Rangnick
- Thomas Tuchel gives his verdict on Ralf Rangnick managing United
- Jurgen Klopp gives his verdict on Manchester United hiring Ralf Rangnick
- Tuchel issues fitness update ahead of Chelsea’s clash against United