Manchester United managed to convince Edinson Cavani to stay at the club for an extra season.
Cavani was swayed after a strong end to the campaign in which he scored nine goals in his last 10 games.
At one stage it had looked as if Cavani could return to South America to sing with Boca Juniors.
Former Uruguay international Ariel Krasouski, who won the title with Boca back in 1981, told newspaper Ole he was disappointed Cavani had re-signed with Manchester United.
Krasouski said: “I had the illusion that Cavani could arrive. If he came to Boca he would to be an idol after five or six games, because Cavani’s style of play identifies a lot with the people of Boca.
“I know that Riquelme [Boca vice-president] and Cavani had already agreed on several things, as far as where he was going to live, but one day to the other changed his mind.
“I think that the fact that he started playing, scoring goals and being tempted to stay was the trigger for which he stayed. He will have realized that he had one more year in Europe.”
Boca’s disappointment is United’s gain. Cavani ended the season on 17 goals and showed he has a lot more to offer.
Even at the age of 34, Cavani showed he has still ‘got it’, and United will benefit from having him available.
The key to getting the best out of Cavani is going to be using him sensibly, and that will give Anthony Martial a lifeline in attack, and Mason Greenwood should also get chances in a central role.
Cavani is also likely to be inspired by the prospect of playing in front of fans. We can’t blame him for feeling his experience was a little soulless in the first part of the campaign, especially as he deal with injury issues and an unwelcome suspension.
Currently he is at the Copa America with Uruguay. They lost their first match 1-0 to Argentina on Saturday and face Chile at 10pm tonight as he looks to get their campaign up and running. But if Uruguay are eliminated early, you won’t find too many Manchester United fans complaining.
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad
- Sergio Ramos and Marcelo congratulate Raphael Varane on Manchester United move
- Manchester United friendly at Preston cancelled
- Rafael criticises Glazers’ failure to communicate with United fans
- Raphael Varane’s last appearance at Old Trafford was a painful one for Manchester United
- Who is reported incoming Manchester United youth addition Ethan Ennis?
- Harry Maguire and Juan Mata react to Donny van de Beek wearing the captain’s armband
- Barlow completes move to Doncaster after a year out of the game following United exit
- Di’Shon Bernard reportedly close to Hull City loan