Erik Ten Hag already has £11m offer from another Premier League club
Ajax boss Erik Ten Hag is the most sought after manager in Europe right now.
Ten Hag ticks nearly all the boxes where Manchester United are concerned too.
The Times report Ten Hag is ‘the obvious long term choice’ for the Red Devils.
His sides play exciting football, as the top scorers in the Netherlands while also conceding the fewest goals, with a trust in young players. He is tactically sound, and his side recently demolished Dortmund 4-0 in the Champions League.
Luring him away mid-season, is going to be very difficult.
Manchester United would not be the first side to try
Newcastle United have already made an approach to Ten Hag as they look to find a replacement for Steve Bruce.
The Mail report Newcastle have offered Ten Hag a salary £11 million.
This is more than Ole Gunnar Solskjaer earns (£8.3 million) and would only rank third in the Premier League behind Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola.
This underlines the financial power Newcastle have at their disposal under their new owners.
And most intriguingly of all, Ten Hag looks set to turn it down.
The rejection comes not just because Ten Hag wishes to stick with Ajax right now. Instead he prefers to hold out for a top job.
He reportedly considers Newcastle too big a risk, when he knows there will be bigger jobs out there for him in the future.
The Manchester United job would be one of them, if he were attracted by the proposition.
The one mark against Ten Hag is how he might handle big names like Ronaldo and co. He has little experience of this. Aside from that he is the ideal candidate.
Ten Hag rejected Tottenham in the summer after they approached him, The Mail reported, preferring to stay at Ajax.
One big club who could also begin a chase for Ten Hag is Barcelona.
Marca report Ten Hag is Barcelona’s number one choice to replace Ronald Koeman.
Like United, Barcelona has been a poorly run club behind the scenes and Ten Hag may have his doubts.
It is probable United won’t be able to wait until next summer. Keeping Solskjaer on as a semi-interim manager until then has little appeal, and nor does hiring an actual interim boss.
That’s why the Conte links have gathered such momentum. He is available immediately if Manchester United want him.
- Manchester United express interest in signing star Rangnick bought for just £14m four years ago
- How Manchester United could line-up v Crystal Palace with 10 changes
- Manchester United loanee condemns abuse and criticises incorrect media reports
- Manchester United delete tweet about Erik ten Hag
- Sad picture of Alvaro Fernandez after final whistle against Brighton shows Manchester United defeat no fun for youngsters
- Ajax's Mexican star makes case for Erik ten Hag to sign him for Manchester United
- 21-year-old Manchester United loanee says 'it's been a pleasure' after difficult end to season
- Erik ten Hag would make a real statement by selling Scott McTominay this summer
- Photo: Manchester United youngster poses with matchball after scoring 4 goals in u23 win
- Truly disgusted, Manchester United fans hope the pain will be worthwhile
- Who is the 20-year-old Manchester United reportedly want to sign with £38.4m release clause