Elanga scores winning goal and gets red card in United U23s 1-0 win
Anthony Elanga made a brief cameo in Manchester United’s EFL Cup exit against West Ham on Wednesday.
He played from the start last night for the Under 23s, when they travelled to face Everton.
Elanga wasted no time making an impact, scoring the only goal of the game after just three minutes.
But unfortunately, it wasn’t a perfect night for the Swedish wideman, as he was sent off late on.
Shola Shoretire collected the ball inside the penalty box, before cutting it back to Elanga to slot home.
But in stoppage time, there was a melee, where Elanga, teammate Bjorn Hardley and Everton’s Charlie Whitaker all saw red.
After the game, Elanga posted a brief message on Instagram, making no mention of the red card, only the winning goal, paying tribute to Shoretire and Martin Svidersky.
The full match is available to watch on Everton’s YouTube channel.
The upshot is United got their second straight win and Elanga continued his electric scoring form.
He’ll hope that the red card is a one-off, but part of being one of United’s outstanding young players is that you’ll be targeted and singled out by opponents and it’s about having the composure to deal with it.
That’s something Hannibal is learning, and Elanga has had that lesson last night too.
United’s EFL Cup exit removes the most obvious source of first-team matches for Elanga but if he keeps performing and scoring goals, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer may well include him in the senior squad on occasion.
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'