Anthony Elanga made a brief cameo in Manchester United’s EFL Cup exit against West Ham on Wednesday.
He played from the start last night for the Under 23s, when they travelled to face Everton.
Elanga wasted no time making an impact, scoring the only goal of the game after just three minutes.
But unfortunately, it wasn’t a perfect night for the Swedish wideman, as he was sent off late on.
Shola Shoretire collected the ball inside the penalty box, before cutting it back to Elanga to slot home.
But in stoppage time, there was a melee, where Elanga, teammate Bjorn Hardley and Everton’s Charlie Whitaker all saw red.
After the game, Elanga posted a brief message on Instagram, making no mention of the red card, only the winning goal, paying tribute to Shoretire and Martin Svidersky.
The full match is available to watch on Everton’s YouTube channel.
The upshot is United got their second straight win and Elanga continued his electric scoring form.
He’ll hope that the red card is a one-off, but part of being one of United’s outstanding young players is that you’ll be targeted and singled out by opponents and it’s about having the composure to deal with it.
That’s something Hannibal is learning, and Elanga has had that lesson last night too.
United’s EFL Cup exit removes the most obvious source of first-team matches for Elanga but if he keeps performing and scoring goals, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer may well include him in the senior squad on occasion.
- Conte may be a serial winner domestically but he hasn’t cracked Europe
- Manchester United loanee Dylan Levitt dominates in Dundee United draw
- Marcus Rashford sends message as he looks to fix Manchester United situation
- Three quick fix signings Manchester United could make in January to get back on track
- Manchester United youngster Sonny Aljofree celebrates meeting Cristiano Ronaldo