Tahith Chong’s loan at Club Brugge is off to a perfect start.
Chong went straight into the team’s starting line-up for a cup tie against lower league side Olsa Brakel. It was the ideal way to get warmed up.
The Manchester United loanee scored the fifth goal in a 6-1 victory for his team in a game nearly as one sided as the Red Devils’ win over Southampton.
The goal was a wonderfully taken strike. He made a run from the right-hand side into the centre and was picked out with a through ball.
Chong, 21, then took one touch, before calmly lifting the ball over the goalkeeper into the net.
It was a classy finish of a player who looked to be enjoying himself.
Chong had begun Club Brugge’s win by providing the assist for his new team’s first goal just three minutes into the game with a cross from the edge of the area.
He’s been here before…
This was an ideal start for Chong, although he also began well at Werder Bremen.
He scored in the German Cup against lower league side Carl Zeiss Jena back in September, and then went the rest of his loan spell without scoring a single goal.
The standard of opposition will be a bit tougher at the weekend when Club Brugge travel to Beveren in the league. Chong was substituted after his goal, an indication he could have a starting role to come.
Chong’s challenge is to keep this momentum. He’s clearly got talent, but he didn’t show it in Germany.
His dream start was a reminder of this, and a sign United got it right by cancelling his loan at Bremen and finding him a new club. Now he has to build on this and produce strong performances on a weekly basis.
- Arnau Puigmal announces Manchester United departure
- Could Jadon Sancho end up as Paul Pogba’s replacement?
- Tom Heaton to United would bring his free agent exit full circle after angering Fergie
- Three reasons Manchester United should play Hannibal against Fulham
- Every trophy won by Manchester United
- Manchester United fans are the best, says Solskjaer, as he hopes for lift from crowd return
- Solskjaer says Martial and James not ready to start v Fulham
- Villarreal striker Moreno scores 29th goal of the season ahead of United clash
- Manchester United target Sven Botman produces man of the match performance for Lille