Manchester United continue to push for a deal to sign Jadon Sancho. A report from German newspaper BILD focuses on how a deal might be structured.
United are linked with offering £108 million in total, split across three years.
This would involved £63 million this summer, then £27 million next year, and £18 million in 2022.
Dortmund are said by BILD to be open to a proposal like this, and precedent is on United’s side.
It’s been done before
Dortmund know all about selling star assets for top prices, and they have previously accepted a structured payment over a star sale.
This came when they sold Ousmane Dembele to Barcelona in 2017, with the Spanish side only paying part of the fee up front.
There was a bigger total figure, reported by The Guardian to be £135 million.
Of this fee Barcelona paid £97 million to Dortmund this summer, spreading a further £38 million across future payments.
It is notable that just two months earlier, Dortmund were pledging that Dembele would not be leaving.
Sporting director Michel Zorc told German newspaper Waz: “Ousmane Dembele has a long-term contract [until 2021] and we are making definite plans with him.
“There are no negotiations [with Barca]. Ousmane is going to be playing for Dortmund in the coming season.”
Zorc has been less adversarial in tone over Sancho, but this past week told Bild: “I would be glad if he stayed with us this season. And he also has a contract.”
The Dembele transfer shows us that Dortmund will sell for the right price, and fortunately for United, their asking price is lower than the extravagant fee Barcelona paid for the Frenchman.
They will get their money from United eventually. We are quite confident about that. Paying just £63 million up front for the England international is too good a deal to turn down from our perspective.
- Four Manchester United players have proved a point to Solskjaer
- Nicolas Tagliafico the latest left-back linked to United
- Luton defender shares what it’s like trying to stop Marcus Rashford
- Manchester United fans react to Eric Bailly’s performance
- Solskjaer picks out three Manchester United players for praise
- Jesse Lingard impresses amid uncertain United future
- Manchester United fans react to Donny van de Beek’s performance
- Manchester United’s players react to win over Luton
- Dean Henderson sends emotional message to Manchester United fans