Manchester United missed out on two big names to Borussia Dortmund last season, Erling Haaland and Jude Bellingham.
Now the German side are reportedly ready to battle United again in pursuit of Fiorentina defender Nikola Milenkovic.
Milenkovic is out of contract in 2022 and Calciomercato reported recently that United hold ‘strong interest’ in the player, who was reportedly on Jose Mourinho’s radar back in late 2018 too.
Earlier this month we put together a piece on why a move for Milenkovic is far more likely now than it was previously.
What about Dortmund’s threat?
Sky Germany report Dortmund have made contact with Milenkovic’s representatives, while also saying United have been in touch too along with Liverpool.
United hold a pretty clear advantage here over Dortmund financially, with the German side needing to sell players rather than buy.
Dortmund could be in rebuild mode and could have to sell before buying. They currently sit sixth in the Bundesliga, outside even the Europa League places, and six points behind the Champions League qualification places.
United are better positioned financially to sign Milenkovic, and the chance to follow fellow Serbian international defender Nemanja Vidic should appeal to him.
Dortmund’s threat to this potential deal should be taken seriously, although at this stage its unclear how determined United are to sign Milenkovic.
The Serie A star is one of several names believed to be on United’s list of targets, as an option. It’s unclear which direction the club will eventually move in.
If Milenkovic is the man United want above others, Dortmund’s competition should be accounted for – and we should be able to see them off from a financial and sporting perspective especially if they cannot offer Champions League football next season and we can.
- Who is reported United target Edmond Tapsoba?
- Edinson Cavani’s fitness problems are becoming a little concerning
- Charlie McNeill continues to make a name for himself with another winning goal
- Former United talent Largie Ramazani scores goal from his own half
- Paul Pogba and Edinson Cavani react to Manchester United win
- Dean Henderson has now kept five clean sheets in a row
- Fernandes sends message to Dalot after first league goal for Milan
- Mike Phelan reacts to United’s derby win
- United loanee Tahith Chong provides assist in Club Brugge win
- Harry Maguire raves about Luke Shaw’s performance