20-year-old forward D’Mani Mellor has made his return from injury for Manchester United’s Under 23s.
Mellor last played for United in February 2020, in a friendly against Club Brugge.
He has been out since then after suffering an ACL tear in summer 2020, but came on as a half-time substitute against Sheffield Wednesday yesterday.
United won the match 4-2, in their final pre-season friendly of before the Premier League 2 campaign kicks off on Monday.
It took Mellor 15 minutes to make an impression on his return from injury, getting United back in the game by making it 2-2.
Zidane Iqbal, Shola Shoretire and Hannibal were United’s scorers. The Tunisia international’s goal was particularly eye-catching.
A host of United players were quick to congratulate Mellor after his return.
In terms of first team stars, Scott McTominay, Mason Greenwood and Jesse Lingard all left messages.
Mellor will be looking to make up for lost time in the under-23s this season.
It’s not easy to catch up after missing so much football, but he’s taken the first step towards doing that and the goal will do his confidence the world of good.
It was also an impressive result against a League One side who have already started their season, which bodes well for Neil Wood’s side.
D’Mani Mellor: What you need to know
- Mellor plays as a striker and was born in Manchester
He signed his professional contract in September 2018
- Hat-trick hero
Mellor’s best performance in the academy came as he bagged a hat-trick in the final game of the under-18 season against Everton in 2019.
- Strong under-23 record
Mellor has a tally of five goals and six assists in 17 under-23 games
- First team breakthrough
Mellor made his debut away at Astana in the Europa League. He played the final 25 minutes of the match, replacing Tahith Chong
- Missed 2020/21 season
He suffered an ACL injury in summer 2020, ruling him out for the season.
- Manchester United youngster matches Carlos Tevez achievement and best is yet to come
- Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage send messages after making Manchester United debut
- 'I'm truly sorry'… Amad sends apology to Manchester United supporters
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's 'world class' performance against Young Boys
- Manchester United's 3 best players against Young Boys