Late in the game on Friday, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s final throw of the dice was to bring on Nemanja Matic.
It was a moved designed to free up Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes, and it worked.
Matic’s direct style of forward passing took United into Tottenham’s final third, and from there, Pogba did the damage.
United won a penalty forcing an equaliser, and then had chances to win the game, including another late penalty appeal, and two close efforts from Fernandes and Mason Greenwood.
Now, it’s time for them to carry on
United’s next fixture is against Sheffield United on Wednesday night, who do not have the wealth of options we do.
The Blades have just played two games in four days, and failed to win any. Now they have to come to Old Trafford.
They could face a fresh Paul Pogba who has just played 30 minutes, and Nemanja Matic, who featured for just 13.
A midfield combination of Fernandes, Pogba and Matic is not only United’s best, but it’s also the freshest.
They have everything
Fernandes is the key to United’s attack, with four goals and four assists in eight matches.
Matic is one of the best defensive midfielders in Europe, even at the age of 31, and he can make life extra difficult for a tired Sheffield United attack.
And then you have Paul Pogba, the midfielder who really does have everything, and you are making his job easier through Fernandes and Matic by not asking him to too much either offensively or defensively. It’s the perfect balance.
Fred and Scott McTominay will be unlucky to miss out, but they will still have roles to play from the bench, and in upcoming games.
For now Solskjaer needs to let Matic, Pogba and Fernandes have a run in the team together and see where it takes us.
We have just had a glimpse of what they are capable of so far, and it looked good.
- Why United’s Gomes response should be to target top quality young attacker
- Manchester United’s run-in is not as easy as it looks
- Solskjaer says Ethan Laird will join United’s first team squad
- Axel Tuanzebe out until September, says Solskjaer
- Suggestion that United could loan Eric Bailly out is just laughable
- Who is reported Manchester United target Mohammed Kudus?
- Manchester United could let Ighalo try to break 96-year club record
- Solskjaer’s careful and patient man-management of Paul Pogba is paying off
- Manchester United’s need for Grealish is diminishing but is it now or never?