Manchester United star Andreas Pereira was one of the standout performers in the draw with Liverpool.
We have to be careful not to over-hype it, but Pereira at least showed that through the centre he can be an asset, after several listless displays out wide.
The performance will give Pereira confidence, and his efforts drew praise from an old teammate.
Former Red Devils winger Memphis Depay responded to Pereira’s post-game Instagram message to praise his performance.
Depay and Pereira played together for United’s first team a couple of times, the first being just over three years ago.
It was the 3-0 League Cup victory over Ipswich Town in 2015, in which Pereira scored his first ever goal for United.
It’s remarkable that he only has scored one since then, in the win over Southampton last season.
That might have been the last time Pereira started in a central attacking midfield role for United, until this past weekend.
He caught the eye, creating three chances, more than any United player.
He showed promise, and needs a run of games there. The excuses have been legitimate. Change of managers, change of position, but they will soon run out. Perhaps now he will get a chance.
The response to his performance will lift his confidence, and we might all start seeing Pereira as an asset again, rather than part of the problem.
- Manchester United youngster Will Fish impacted by manager change
- Cristiano Ronaldo expecting twins with girlfriend
- Conte may be a serial winner domestically but he hasn’t cracked Europe
- Manchester United loanee Dylan Levitt dominates in Dundee United draw
- Marcus Rashford sends message as he looks to fix Manchester United situation