If you thought Atalanta would be sick of Cristiano Ronaldo by now, you would be correct.
After Ronaldo scored a winner against Atalanta at Old Trafford, he scored twice in Italy to claim a 2-2 draw.
It was all too much for Atalanta star Marten de Roon, who had produced a tireless effort in central defence.
De Roon is one of the rare footballer that runs his own Twitter account and lets his personality shine through. There’s none of the bland ‘we go again’ tweets.
At the weekend De Roon celebrated scoring a last gasp equaliser to help Atalanta claim a 2-2 draw with Lazio.
This time he was on the wrong end of the same circumstance as Ronaldo netted a last gasp equaliser.
De Roon posted a message acknowledging Ronaldo’s inevitable brilliance, before sharing a photo of them together where he was nearly entirely cut out of it.
De Roon had put in an outstanding performance in defence, a position he does not usually play in.
He made seven interceptions, more than any player on the pitch, and made four tackles.
And yet it was not enough to keep Ronaldo quiet. The superstar’s brace kept United two points above the Italians in the group, with the injury time strike denying Atalanta a famous win.
- Newcastle targeting loan deal for Manchester United ace, prepared to cover 100% of wages
- What channel is Brentford v Manchester United on? Kick off time, live stream and team news
- Manchester United will need to move the ball quickly to bypass Brentford's top-tackler
- Rangnick says £50m man is set to miss Manchester United's next two Premier League games
- One of Manchester United's top manager targets gets easier as club contact replacement