David de Gea reacts to drawing Atletico Madrid in Champions League last-16
Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea will face his former club Atletico Madrid for the first time after the two sides were drawn together in the Champions League re-draw.
The 31-year-old has been in Manchester for over a decade, following his signing in 2011, when Sir Alex Ferguson was at the helm.
The Spanish stopper made 84 appearances for the La Liga side before securing a switch to England. De Gea won the Europa League and UEFA Super Cup with the Spanish giants in 2010.
With 462 appearances under his belt for Manchester United, de Gea will face the side that he started his career at for the first time, since leaving 10 years ago.
Following today’s second Champions League draw, de Gea reacted on social media to the upcoming reunion with his former club.
In the time that de Gea has been establishing himself as one of the best goalkeepers in the world, via the Premier League, Atletico Madrid have come agonisingly close to winning the Champions League on two occasions.
Jan Oblak has been instrumental to their charge for the world’s best club trophy and United’s clash against Atletico in the new year will see two of the world’s best goalkeepers compete against one and other.
If de Gea can maintain his imperious form then United will fancy their chances of ousting Atletico and going far in the competition.
It will be an emotional occasion for de Gea, but Ralf Rangnick will need his number one to put all sentiments aside and help ensure his current side progress to the last-eight.
- £42m PL move has double impact for Manchester United, including over 21-year-old star
- 'Love the way he plays football'… Rio Ferdinand raved about £60m Manchester United target
- Report: Manchester United enquire after Mexico international winger who is open to offers
- 18 wins from 20 games: Star has good reason for being tempted by Manchester United move
- Photo: 20-year-old Manchester United wonderkid compared to De Ligt closing in on return after being missing all summer