You couldn't blame David de Gea for regretting United contract renewal
David de Gea looked absolutely despondent after Manchester United’s loss to Newcastle.
It is painful enough trying to watch United right now, whether you be in the stands or watching on television. Imagine being on the pitch with the players.
De Gea experiences this, watching from his own goal as United’s attackers fail time and time again to score.
Once Newcastle scored their opening goal it was all over. There was no way United were scoring twice.
De Gea spoke after the game to express his sadness at United’s current situation.
He was quoted via BBC: “The game isn’t acceptable. The whole season isn’t acceptable for us.”
“We didn’t create any proper chances. We have a lot to improve. I don’t know what to say. We need to step up.
“We have injuries but it’s not an excuse. We are Manchester United, we need to train hard to keep fighting and to get back to winning games.”
De Gea is right with everything he says and he deserves better.
He was fighting until the last, charging up to try and help the team score at the end, only for the free-kick to predictably sail over everybody.
The Spaniard committed his future to United last month, signing a long term contract at Old Trafford which runs until 2024.
It had been due to expire next summer, and his renewal was a huge decision, the biggest of his career.
You genuinely could not blame him if he regretted that decision right now.
United are going backwards at an alarming rate, and De Gea did not re-sign for this.
We are lucky to have him at United, and he will be key to helping the team get back on track.
If only there were a few more world class players like him in the team.
- Manchester United should have learned in 2019 that appeasing Ronaldo just won't be worth it
- Potential £40m signing should signal end of Harry Maguire captaincy at Manchester United
- Jurrien Timber sends message to Tyrell Malacia after Manchester United move confirmed
- 'Very exciting player'… Manager thrilled to snap up 21-year-old after Manchester United release
- Picture: Frenkie de Jong 'likes' agent's post on Tyrell Malacia confirmed Manchester United transfer