Christopher Nkunku could be the perfect Manchester United signing for Erik Ten Hag
Manchester United’s plans for the summer have been given a jolt by Ralf Rangnick’s recommendation the club sign RB Leipzig star Christopher Nkunku.
ESPN report Nkunku had not previously been on United’s radar. Now he has been added to the list of potential summer targets.
Nkunku is enjoying a fantastic season, with 11 Bundesliga goals and seven assists. He also outscored Cristiano Ronaldo in the Champions League group stages, with seven strikes in six matches, which included a hat-trick against City.
The 24-year-old Frenchman has a striker’s ability in front of goal, yet most frequently plays as an attacking midfielder or even out wide.
Nkunku would be the perfect Erik Ten Hag signing
Erik Ten Hag is reported to be Ralf Rangnick’s top recommendation for the manager’s job, The Mail report, and Christopher Nkunku would be the ideal signing for the Dutchman.
Nkunku’s versatility makes him a dynamic attacking weapon for Ten Hag’s system, in the same way he has been able to utilise Dusan Tadic to devastating effect for Ajax.
This season Tadic has played on both the left and right wing, in attacking midfield, and up front, scoring nine goals and providing 16 assists.
Nkunku has played in a similar hybrid role for RB Leipzig, featuring this season on both the left and right side of midfield, through the centre, and up front, also scoring and creating at a prolific rate.
Manchester United don’t quite have the same type of attacking talent who can score and create from both sides and lead the line if required. Marcus Rashford would be the closest to it, but his form has taken a big step backwards this season.
A move for Nkunku would be a gift for Ten Hag if he is appointed, a player full of confidence who can come in and add a completely different look to United’s attack, who the new manager can build around.
We wrote this week how one way to temporarily replace Cristiano Ronaldo for now would be to utilise Bruno Fernandes as a false nine. Nkunku would be even more adept at playing this role, and is arguably more technically proficient than the United star.
He has got everything
Nkunku is the type of player who Erik Ten Hag would absolutely love. His ability makes him ideal to play well in multiple roles.
He is lethal when he gets a sight of goal, he is an exceptional passer, and he is comfortable taking on and dribbling past players. He is like an upgraded Roberto Firmino, who United may be able to mould into a central striker to fill the void needed there, with Bruno Fernandes playing behind him.
The Frenchman is only 24, and learned a lot from former Leipzig coach Julian Nagelsmann. While the German side want to keep him, United’s money could sway a deal.
Ten Hag is regarded as an outstanding coach, and put Nkunku into his team and there could be fireworks, especially with Jadon Sancho in support.
The former PSG graduate could be the perfect addition for United to transform the team’s style of play. It’s obvious Ten Hag will need new players. Nkunku could be Rangnick’s best recommendation of them all.
- 'Here we go'… Manchester United player agrees £13 million exit, says Fabrizio Romano
- Video: Erik ten Hag has one-to-one chat with 21-year-old Manchester United ace in training
- Ten Hag now has Manchester United front three Solskjaer wanted and never picked
- 'Special' player is a perfect fit for Manchester United, says ex-Red Devils star
- Manchester United players welcome new signing Tyrell Malacia to club
- 'Love his style': Tyrell Malacia hoping to emulate and surpass Manchester United legend who won 6 major trophies
- 'One of our own': Feyenoord post emotional message asking Manchester United to look after their former star
- 'Tremendous': Manchester United's first signing of the Ten Hag era speaks in glowing terms about his new manager
- Cristiano Ronaldo staying one more year would suddenly be a hard sell to Manchester United fans