Manchester United only sold one player the entire transfer window.
Alexis Sanchez was released, while there were numerous loan exits including Andreas Pereira and Diogo Dalot.
It took until the final day of the transfer window for United to get a fee for a player, and that was Chris Smalling.
The centre-back’s long awaited move to Roma went through in the final hours of deadline day.
Smalling sent a message to United thanking the club for the 10 years he spent at Old Trafford.
Smalling was signed by Sir Alex Ferguson in 2010 from Fulham.
He played a part in winning two Premier League titles, and then one FA Cup under Louis van Gaal, and an EFL Cup and Europa League under Jose Mourinho.
Last season Smalling went on loan to Roma and performed strongly in Italy, prompting some debate over whether he would get one more run at United.
Despite question marks at Old Trafford defensively at present, the decision was made to part ways and move on, and Smalling signs for a club who want him.
BBC Sport report United will receive a fee of £13.6 million which could rise to £18.1 million with add ons.
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Granada
- Manchester United fans react to Jude Bellingham’s Champions League performance
- Three key questions as Declan Rice to Manchester United rumours grow stronger
- Brandon Williams will fancy his chances of rare game time for United tonight
- What channel is the Man Utd v Granada Europa League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Manchester United’s TikTok account releases light-hearted Cavani video after Tottenham controversy
- It’s easy to see why Harry Kane is reportedly interested in signing for Manchester United
- Phil Jones pictured training for first time in 2021
- Harry Maguire names United’s strongest player and most talented
- Solskjaer says Bailly will definitely not face Granada