Manchester United only sold one player the entire transfer window.
Alexis Sanchez was released, while there were numerous loan exits including Andreas Pereira and Diogo Dalot.
It took until the final day of the transfer window for United to get a fee for a player, and that was Chris Smalling.
The centre-back’s long awaited move to Roma went through in the final hours of deadline day.
Smalling sent a message to United thanking the club for the 10 years he spent at Old Trafford.
Smalling was signed by Sir Alex Ferguson in 2010 from Fulham.
He played a part in winning two Premier League titles, and then one FA Cup under Louis van Gaal, and an EFL Cup and Europa League under Jose Mourinho.
Last season Smalling went on loan to Roma and performed strongly in Italy, prompting some debate over whether he would get one more run at United.
Despite question marks at Old Trafford defensively at present, the decision was made to part ways and move on, and Smalling signs for a club who want him.
BBC Sport report United will receive a fee of £13.6 million which could rise to £18.1 million with add ons.
- Fred sends message to United fans after PSG loss, although he does not apologise
- United fans react to Odion Ighalo’s late cameo
- RB Leipzig stars say they are treating Manchester United clash like a final
- Thomas Tuchel admits PSG were lucky not to concede second goal against United
- Dayot Upamecano ruled out of Manchester United clash
- Anthony Martial handed 3/10 rating in French media after United’s loss to PSG
- Ander Herrera sends message to Manchester United fans
- Manchester United’s four most disappointing players against PSG
- Manchester United’s four best players against PSG
- Manchester United fans praise Scott McTominay’s performance v PSG