Champions League draw: Manchester United discover opponents
The Champions League group stages for 2020/21 have been drawn.
Manchester United have been drawn in the same group as Paris Saint-Germain.
United knocked PSG out of the competition in 2018/19, and it was the tie which secured Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s job as permanent manager.
These games will see reunions with United with Ander Herrera, and once again, Angel di Maria.
The group is completed with RB Leipzig, the toughest team we could have landed from Pot 3 other than Inter Milan.
Leipzig reached the semi-finals of the Champions League last season, although have since lost Timo Werner.
Istanbul Başakşehir are the fourth team in the group. This is their first time in the Champions League, but they have a few familiar faces, including ex-United star Rafael da Silva.
This is not the easy draw United wanted. There is a very real risk we fail to get out of the group stage.
We are competing against last year’s defeated finalist, and semi-finalist.
But don’t discount United by any stretch. Last time out we beat PSG over two legs, and RB Leipzig may find it tough to repeat their heroics of last season.
United tend to do better in ‘big games’ and these matches should be competitive.
It could also have been worse. Drawing Bayern Munich and Inter Milan was possible, and would have been even tougher.
This is why we are in the Champions League though, to compete against the very best. Don’t dread it, let’s embrace it and look forward to the ties.
- Portugal international waiting on offer from Manchester United as Barcelona make move
- Manchester United eye cut-price move for £32m Champions League winner to partner De Jong
- 17-goal wonderkid, La Masia graduate: 3 FA Youth Cup winners Man Utd should loan out this summer
- Erik ten Hag's first five signings as Ajax manager including two former Premier League stars
- Five players Manchester United had very lucky escapes on including '£50m-valued midfielder'
- Long-serving Manchester United academy coach set to leave as behind the scenes changes continue
- 'We are going to win trophies'… Manchester United star optimistic about silverware next season
- 5 free agents Manchester United could sign this summer including Rangnick's international DM and '£85m' Italy striker
- 'He delivers'… Steve McClaren is a huge fan of 25-year-old Manchester United midfielder