Cavani and Amad congratulate ex-teammate on Villarreal move
While the transfer window is closed, clubs are still able to sign players as free agents if they have space left in their squads.
That is what Manchester United’s Champions League opponents Villarreal have done, agreeing a deal to sign Serge Aurier after he was released by Tottenham Hotspur.
Aurier was presented by the club after undergoing a medical, ending an unwanted stretch of uncertainty in his own career.
His move caught the attention of a couple of Manchester United players on social media.
Edinson Cavani played alongside Aurier for Paris Saint-Germain, while Amad knows the defender from the Ivory Coast national squad.
Both players congratulated Aurier on social media, while a message from close pal and compatriot Eric Bailly is no doubt forthcoming too.
Not eligible to play against Manchester United
One key note from Aurier’s transfer is that he is not eligible to play against Manchester United next month or in any of Villarreal’s Champions League games.
He was not signed in time to be registered for the squad; the deadline was prior to the start of the group stages.
If Villarreal were to reach the knockout rounds then they would be able to register him then.
So this transfer does not give Villarreal any particular boost for the United game, other than perhaps allowing them to rest Juan Foyth, who played at right-back in last week’s game at Old Trafford.
Previously linked to United
Just four years ago Aurier was being tipped to sign for Manchester United to challenge for the right-back spot.
Goal.com claimed Aurier was ‘set to sign a five year deal’ at the club to strengthen Jose Mourinho’s options at the position.
Mourinho got to manage him eventually, at Tottenham. It wasn’t a particularly successful stint for either manager or player, and United should have no reason to regret the deal falling through.
- Triple sale would be a ruthless way for Erik ten Hag to start Manchester United's summer
- Manchester United offered chance to sign star Ten Hag sold for £23.8m
- Manchester United cancel the end of season awards ceremony, it's the right decision
- 5 Ajax players who will actually improve Manchester United: Including £50m target
- How Manchester United could make £120 million in player sales this summer to get £240m budget
- Nemanja Matic tells Manchester United fans an absolute diamond is coming through who has surprised him
- 21-year-old striker confirms Manchester United exit on Instagram
- 'Monster' ex Manchester United centre-back used to demand to train 1 v 2
- Manchester United transfer target nicknamed 'the butcher of Amsterdam', he shut Haaland down