It never quite worked out for Cameron Borthwick-Jackson at Manchester United, but we still follow his career with interest.
The young left-back broke into the Manchester United first team under Louis van Gaal in 2015/16 and very briefly looked like a top prospect.
Jose Mourinho did not have the same faith in the youngster and he was sent out on a series of loans. Moves to the Championship with Wolves and Leeds were disappointing and he then ended up having to go lower and lower down the football ladder.
By time Borthwick-Jackson was released last summer it was long overdue, and for his own good.
He signed as a free agent with Oldham Athletic in League Two, where he had spent a spell on loan at the end of the 2019/20 season.
Borthwick-Jackson needed some consistency and he found it at Oldham.
This past season he played 35 games in all competitions, providing two assists. During this time he seemed to do something right, because he has just been snapped up by League One side Burton Albion.
Borthwick-Jackson was unveiled by Burton this week where he links up with former United teammate, goalkeeper Kieran O’Hara.
Club manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink told the club website: “He has big potential, if we can get it right with him, and it’s a very exciting signing for us.”
Borthwick-Jackson is now 24-years-old and his best years are ahead of him.
Stepping back to League Two gave him some stability upon leaving United from which he has been able to build. Hopefully from here he can keep on rising through the divisions.
He played for United 14 times in total and represented England at youth level.
So far he has racked up more than 100 career games and should have plenty more left in him.
His Manchester United career did not work out, but it is good to see the downward trajectory he was on has reversed, and he is now moving upwards again.
- Manchester United being linked with Sulemana again, Ajax in pole position
- Anthony Martial pictured working out ahead of pre-season
- Manchester United’s 20 most expensive transfer deals of all time
- Mansfield boss delighted to sign Manchester United’s Nathan Bishop on loan
- French media deliver their verdicts on United star Paul Pogba’s display last night
- Fred impresses for Brazil again in dramatic win
- Five German legends comments on Manchester United bound Jadon Sancho
- Diogo Dalot posts message after making Portugal debut
- Victor Lindelof makes timely contribution to help Sweden finish top
- Manchester United fans react to Paul Pogba’s performance