Cameron Borthwick-Jackson moves up a division after signing with Burton
It never quite worked out for Cameron Borthwick-Jackson at Manchester United, but we still follow his career with interest.
The young left-back broke into the Manchester United first team under Louis van Gaal in 2015/16 and very briefly looked like a top prospect.
Jose Mourinho did not have the same faith in the youngster and he was sent out on a series of loans. Moves to the Championship with Wolves and Leeds were disappointing and he then ended up having to go lower and lower down the football ladder.
By time Borthwick-Jackson was released last summer it was long overdue, and for his own good.
He signed as a free agent with Oldham Athletic in League Two, where he had spent a spell on loan at the end of the 2019/20 season.
Borthwick-Jackson needed some consistency and he found it at Oldham.
This past season he played 35 games in all competitions, providing two assists. During this time he seemed to do something right, because he has just been snapped up by League One side Burton Albion.
Borthwick-Jackson was unveiled by Burton this week where he links up with former United teammate, goalkeeper Kieran O’Hara.
Club manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink told the club website: “He has big potential, if we can get it right with him, and it’s a very exciting signing for us.”
Borthwick-Jackson is now 24-years-old and his best years are ahead of him.
Stepping back to League Two gave him some stability upon leaving United from which he has been able to build. Hopefully from here he can keep on rising through the divisions.
He played for United 14 times in total and represented England at youth level.
So far he has racked up more than 100 career games and should have plenty more left in him.
His Manchester United career did not work out, but it is good to see the downward trajectory he was on has reversed, and he is now moving upwards again.
- 'Unreal', 'Absolute player'… Teammates react as 21-year-old Manchester United talent's loan spell ends
- 5 Darwin Nunez alternatives for Manchester United, including award-winning 34-goal forward
- 7 Argentina players who have played for Manchester United including a now 38-year-old free agent
- Ten Hag eyeing £25 million move for Ajax's player of the season
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag