Anthony Elanga scored Manchester United’s opening goal in a 2-2 draw with Brentford.
The youngster’s performance drew the praise of club legend Bryan Robson, who noticed the respect he had from his more established teammates.
Robson told MUTV’s post-game coverage: “[It was] a lovely finish. That started the game off really well, what a volley.
“When the ball is coming from behind you, it is one of the most difficult techniques to do. His second goal of pre season, that will give him full of confidence, a fantastic finish.
“He’s got very good movement, and is intelligent with it. You can see the way the lads join in with him, they were linking up with him really well, pleased with him so far this pre-season.”
Elanga is seizing his opportunity
Elanga has now started two of the three pre-season matches and has two goals to his name. One of those came as a substitute against QPR.
Against Brentford he started out on the left but he was given license to drift inside, to stop Mason Greenwood getting isolated in the middle, and it was from a central position when he scored his volley, after an impressive cross from Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
The youngster also drifted deep to get onto the ball, playing an excellent cross-field pass midway through the first half. He also broke the offside trap to spring clear on the right, only for his cross to be cut out by the goalkeeper.
United will likely keep Elanga through the first fortnight of the season and see how he meshes in with the returning senior stars. Right now he does not look out of place at all.
Marcus Rashford potentially having an operation will help his cause to stay put. But regardless, Elanga is pushing his own cause. This was another eye catching display and his first goal at Old Trafford will lift his confidence further.
- Is Man Utd vs Villa on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- Solskjaer says de Gea has been smashing personal bests in United’s fitness tests
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact
- Solskjaer offers update on Cavani ahead of Villa clash
- Aston Villa boss Smith raves about United loanee Axel Tuanzebe
- Manchester United’s top under-23s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United’s top under-18s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United have doubts over signing Declan Rice
- Uruguay negotiating to try and secure Edinson Cavani release for October international fixtures