Manchester United were left frustrated by a second successive home defeat.
Any loss to Liverpool is a tough one to take, and you can never say ‘it doesn’t matter’ even if we have already qualified for the Champions League.
Fernandes sent a message to supporters, saying this loss will not impact how the team finishes the season.
United are preparing for the Europa League final against Villarreal on May 26.
Fernandes spoke to the club website and said that the players were incredibly disappointed with the manner of the loss.
He explained that the two first half goals conceded from set pieces were particularly frustrating.
He said: “Everyone was disappointed in the dressing room because we made mistakes but we’ll learn from that and we have to keep improving. We are not at our best yet.”
“We concede two goals from set-pieces and we know we have to work on that. We concede many goals this season from set-pieces. As I said, we are disappointed in the dressing room and we have to improve, we have to be better and we have to do it in the next game against Fulham to secure second place.”
Fernandes captained the side and this won’t be an occasion he remembers fondly due to the result, even if he did get on the scoresheet in the first half.
The Portuguese midfield maestro is now up to 28 goals and 17 assists for the season. But as he will tell you himself, it will count for nothing unless United can end the season with a trophy.
- Luke Shaw is the strongest player in the England squad, says Three Lions teammate
- Paul Pogba blames the heat for France’s disappointing Euro 2020 performance against Hungary
- Academy talent Johan Guadagno doing extra training in off-season
- Dan James helps Wales reach last 16 at Euro 2020
- PSG pushing to beat Manchester United in Varane race
- United’s latest bid for Sancho verified but not approved
- McTominay better than Rice says ex United star
- Jadon Sancho to Manchester United: Moving forward?
- Dean Henderson now has perfect chance to reinforce his Manchester United position