Manchester United were left frustrated by a second successive home defeat.
Any loss to Liverpool is a tough one to take, and you can never say ‘it doesn’t matter’ even if we have already qualified for the Champions League.
Fernandes sent a message to supporters, saying this loss will not impact how the team finishes the season.
United are preparing for the Europa League final against Villarreal on May 26.
Fernandes spoke to the club website and said that the players were incredibly disappointed with the manner of the loss.
He explained that the two first half goals conceded from set pieces were particularly frustrating.
He said: “Everyone was disappointed in the dressing room because we made mistakes but we’ll learn from that and we have to keep improving. We are not at our best yet.”
“We concede two goals from set-pieces and we know we have to work on that. We concede many goals this season from set-pieces. As I said, we are disappointed in the dressing room and we have to improve, we have to be better and we have to do it in the next game against Fulham to secure second place.”
Fernandes captained the side and this won’t be an occasion he remembers fondly due to the result, even if he did get on the scoresheet in the first half.
The Portuguese midfield maestro is now up to 28 goals and 17 assists for the season. But as he will tell you himself, it will count for nothing unless United can end the season with a trophy.
- Henderson reportedly set for first United start of the season vs West Ham
- Which Eric Bailly will we see on his first United appearance of the season?
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it
- Ex United duo Falcao and Bebe combine to net late winner for La Liga side
- Teden Mengi produces captain’s performance in EFL Trophy win
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s penalty record for Manchester United?
- Ethan Galbraith impresses in cameo role to help Doncaster beat City U21s
- What channel is the Man Utd vs West Ham EFL Cup match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Solskjaer says Rashford could return after international break