Bruno Fernandes is delighted to see Juan Mata sign a new contract extension.
But there is a disappointing element to it for him. Fernandes has his eye on Mata’s number eight shirt.
Reacting on social media, Fernandes says he will have to wait another year.
Fernandes currently wears the number 18 shirt made iconic by Paul Scholes. He is doing a pretty good job of filling it.
But its understandable he would want the number eight, which has been assigned to Mata since 2014.
Before Mata the number eight shirt was worn by Anderson, and prior to that, Nicky Butt wore it after eventually succeeding Paul Ince.
Fernandes and Mata are great pals off the pitch so the message is in good spirits. Let’s hope they can continue to strike up a connection on the pitch on the rare occasions they are selected together.
Available squad numbers
These are the available squad numbers for new signings. Tom Heaton is likely to be handed one of these.
Last worn by Chris Smalling
Last worn by Marcos Rojo
Last worn by Timothy Fosu-Mensah
- Is Man Utd vs Villa on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- Solskjaer says de Gea has been smashing personal bests in United’s fitness tests
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact