In just half a season, Bruno Fernandes is producing the kind of figures which most players would be happy with over a full campaign.
Fernandes is United’s assist leader in the Premier League after just 14 games.
He has seven to his name already, with his record made even better by the fact he has also scored eight goals.
Fernandes is already the joint 11th highest assist provider in the Premier League this season.
Higher than any Arsenal player
The players with more assists than Fernandes is a very short list: Kevin de Bruyne, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Andrew Robertson, David Silva, Heung-Min Son, Adama Traore, Harvey Barnes, Riyad Mahrez, Roberto Firmino and Mohamed Salah.
Fernandes already has more assists than Arsenal’s top provider, Bukayo Saka, who has six.
He also has the same as Chelsea’s top creative player, Willian who has seven.
As far as his Manchester United teammates are concerned, Fernandes eclipsed them all, matching Marcus Rashford on seven.
Could have been even higher
Fernandes has a frustrating trait of giving the ball away at times, but this comes with making risky passes. It is worth it.
He almost had an extra assist against Crystal Palace, when his pass for Marcus Rashford’s goal was diverted by a defender, and the assist was not given.
He also provided the cutting edge pass for Anthony Martial to win a penalty against Leicester, with the through ball so incisive that it tempted two Foxes defenders into making the same mistake to simultaneously bring down the Frenchman.
This does not show up in the statistics, but those watching know exactly the type of contribution Fernandes brings, even when he is having an off day. He did at least go on to score the resulting penalty.
Next season many of the expectations on Fernandes’ numbers will be unrealistic, but if you set too low a target, then he will surpass it with ease and make you regret doubting him.
- Raphael Varane will fly to Manchester to seal United move on Monday
- Manchester United in August: Predicting the transfer deals to come
- United loanee Bernard makes first Hull appearance in 2-0 win over Red Devils U23 side
- Report: Fenerbahce want to sign United midfielder Pereira
- Hull boss McCann delighted to sign Manchester United’s Di’Shon Bernard on loan
- Henderson is excited by United signing Sancho
- United defender Eric Bailly endures mixed day as Ivory Coast exit Olympics
- Marcus Rashford posts long emotional message after decision to undergo surgery
- Di’Shon Bernard signs new long-term contract with Manchester United