Bruno Fernandes assist compared to Guti's famous backheel pass to Benzema
Manchester United’s first half equaliser against Atalanta came out of nowhere and it was pretty special.
Cristiano Ronaldo scored it, finishing in absolutely clinical style.
But the goal was all down to teammate Bruno Fernandes’ artistry.
Fernandes received the ball inside the penalty area and he was expeted to shoot.
Instead he showed incredible awareness to backheel the ball to the onrushing Ronaldo to score.
The goal was reminiscent of a famous Real Madrid goal scored by Karim Benzema, better remembered for the assist from Guti.
Social media was full of comparisons between the goals, and even if Fernandes’ assist was not quite as defence splitting as Guti’s pass, it was an outstanding piece of play all the same.
The assist was Fernandes’ fifth in the Champions League this season and his eighth in all competitions.
Teammate Ronaldo struck his eighth goal of the season in the process, but even this moment of brilliance could do little to stop United’s defence from self-destructing, going onto go behind once again in the second half.
Luckily Ronaldo was on hand to bail United out to claim a 2-2 draw in injury time.
- New twist in future of Manchester United star with no goals in nearly 7 months
- £35m star is ideal signing and Manchester United have already made a crucial error
- Report suggests Manchester United could sign midfield star who's 'better than Pogba' for £42 million
- 21-year-old Manchester United ace set for season-long loan to Championship side after initial move collapses
- Marcus Rashford sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat, it's a new approach
- Incoming signing's relationship with star duo could help strengthen Manchester United spine
- Club begin talks to sign replacement for £20m Manchester United strike target
- £7m star now finally has chance for Manchester United breakthrough
- Erik ten Hag frustrated and ready to give up over Manchester United's top transfer target
- Report: Manchester United considered bid for £30m+ Brazilian DM at Premier League club
- Report: Manchester United agree add-ons to take transfer fee to £19m