Manchester United’s first half equaliser against Atalanta came out of nowhere and it was pretty special.
Cristiano Ronaldo scored it, finishing in absolutely clinical style.
But the goal was all down to teammate Bruno Fernandes’ artistry.
Fernandes received the ball inside the penalty area and he was expeted to shoot.
Instead he showed incredible awareness to backheel the ball to the onrushing Ronaldo to score.
The goal was reminiscent of a famous Real Madrid goal scored by Karim Benzema, better remembered for the assist from Guti.
Social media was full of comparisons between the goals, and even if Fernandes’ assist was not quite as defence splitting as Guti’s pass, it was an outstanding piece of play all the same.
The assist was Fernandes’ fifth in the Champions League this season and his eighth in all competitions.
Teammate Ronaldo struck his eighth goal of the season in the process, but even this moment of brilliance could do little to stop United’s defence from self-destructing, going onto go behind once again in the second half.
Luckily Ronaldo was on hand to bail United out to claim a 2-2 draw in injury time.
- Ex Manchester United youngster Josh Harrop looks to relaunch his career at new club
- 10 goal contributions in 5 under-23 games: United have made great decision over wonderkid
- 'Don't get involved'… New Manchester United CEO warned not to interfere
- Mason Greenwood reacts as United teammate Amad seals loan move to Rangers
- Facundo Pellistri plays 70 minutes on international debut in Uruguay win
- Big transfer moves in Europe impact Manchester United, including target's £62.4m switch
- Bryan Robson believes Anthony Elanga emergence will “spur” Manchester United star on
- Harry Maguire talks up 'amazing' Manchester United teammate
- 'Big champion': Manager praises 'disillusioned' Manchester United ace following agonising loss
- Manchester United loanee tipped to have big impact in title race by Sky pundit
- 'All the talent in the world': Maguire challenges Manchester United wonderkid to kick on