Brandon Williams had a strong breakthrough season in 2019/20 at Manchester United.
He was though a clear second choice to Luke Shaw when he was fit, and only broke back into the side at the end of the season when his teammate was injured.
The summer arrival of Alex Telles makes Williams’ task even tougher.
On transfer deadline day there was even speculation he could leave on loan, with Sky Sports reporting Southampton enquired about signing him on loan.
United had no intention of letting Williams leaves, and what seems most likely is that he will switch to right-back.
Seized a chance
Diogo Dalot’s loan to AC Milan leaves United a little bit lighter at right-back.
Williams has played this role before, regularly for the under-23s, and in the first team against LASK and Norwich City.
He was selected at right-back for the under-23s on Friday night in the win over Everton.
Williams stood out, as you would hope, as one of the best players on the pitch.
He played a key part in winning the game, making decisive impacts at both ends.
Williams cleared a shot off the line when Ellis Simms was through on goal and appeared certain to score.
Then in injury time his driving run into the box drew a penalty when he was fouled inside the area.
Bring him in this week?
Williams dropped into the under-23s because Ole Gunnar Solskjaer felt it was important for him to get game time.
One option for Solskjaer is to bring Williams in against RB Leipzig this week.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka has been impressive over the last few games, but United could look to keep him fresh to face Arsenal.
Williams picked up good experience in the Europa League last season and now he is looking for his first Champions League chance.
Whether it is this week or not, Williams’ next opportunity for United is increasingly looking like coming on the right side, rather than the left.
- ‘The best I’ve played against’ – Maguire says of comeback hero Edinson Cavani
- Manchester United’s five best players in comeback win vs Southampton
- Five things we learned in stunning Manchester United comeback vs Southampton
- United fans react as Amad Diallo comes off the bench for Atalanta
- Manchester United’s three best players in 4-1 win against Newcastle U18s
- A year on from Astana, how have Solskjaer’s Manchester United youngsters fared?
- Dillon Hoogewerf hits hat-trick to send Manchester United clear at top of U18 Premier League
- Manchester United’s three best players in unfortunate U23 defeat vs West Ham
- Solskjaer says Manchester United trio can learn from Cavani in training